SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passenger Numbers: 2014 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bradleyman



Joined: 23 Jun 2007
Posts: 829

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stato wrote:
Stato wrote:
Bryan Clarke wrote:
My take, for what it's worth is that although 250.000 paying passengers might seem a long way off, it's clearly not impossible as we have been there before.


What a great thought. Lets get distributing those timetables everywhere. Spread the word!
The interweb is only 1 way of selling the SVR and I think it isnt reaching all of our likely visitors by a long way.

Still the best method by my reckoning is get the paper timetable out on the high street and to friends & work colleagues. If we all gave out 20 timetables this year (12000 members) thats up to some possible 240000 further visits. It aint rocket science just plain simple foot soldering and talking.

So how many timetables can you get out there?


Or if our 12,000+ members were motivated by the Board Chairman to do their bit & persuade just two paying passengers who would not otherwise have visited the railway to do so each year that would add 24,000 to the figures. Time to lead a bit more from the front and engage the membership?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danny252



Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 1171

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't the SVR News included items that are pretty much identical to that in the past? I thought they were pretty regular, but maybe it was only once or twice.
_________________
Daniel Evans
Tea drinker and brass polisher
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Graham



Joined: 21 May 2011
Posts: 932
Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a few ideas to sell more tickets.

First of all, as mentioned elsewhere, run the SVV on Mother's Day.

Now, some of my own and you may spot a common theme here.

Footplate Experience Goods Train.
Not everyone wants to bring along a passenger, so why not offer a cheaper option with a smaller locomotive (this could be a job for 813) with one way driving and firing and the other riding in the brake van.
The Footplate Experience is currently near enough fully booked until August, so I think there's room for more trains.

Freight Weekend.
Brake van rides and loading & unloading displays with vintage vehicles at the stations. It works for GCR and GWR

Goods Guard Weekend.
Similar to the Signalling Weekends

Any of the above could be combined on one weekend. I believe we only have two operational brake vans, so it then becomes a question of do we put them on opposite ends of one train for quicker turn rounds or do we run two trains? If two trains, then do we allow the customers to leave the brake van while on a running line to couple up or just let them watch from the verandah while the guard does it?

Finally, inspired by those "People who bought this also bought..." lists, could we team up with other local attractions with vaguely similar Living History theme to offer a discount?
I'm thinking Ironbridge, Black Country Museum, Avoncroft and Telford Steam Railway for a start.
Either issue a 10% off voucher to spend later at home, or show your ticket at the end of the day to buy a ticket at 10% off there and then.
_________________
Graham Phillips
Acting deputy assistant junior under minion, Bewdley Wagon Department.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mrmover



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 870
Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from the above post, there are plenty of people who have no desire to drive or fire a steam locomotive, but just want the footplate experience. They may have passengers to bring, so why not a "footplate pass" ticket that will permit them to travel on the footplate (pre booked, obviously) on certain scheduled trains.

Clearly they will not be allowed to drive or fire, but the opportunity of a full length footplate ride will appeal to many.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danny252



Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 1171

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
Footplate Experience Goods Train.
Not everyone wants to bring along a passenger, so why not offer a cheaper option with a smaller locomotive (this could be a job for 813) with one way driving and firing and the other riding in the brake van.
The Footplate Experience is currently near enough fully booked until August, so I think there's room for more trains.


To be honest, I thought this sort of "cheap, cheerful and regular" thing was what the Taster sessions were meant to add, running between Bewdley and Kidder, hence meaning they can be operated on practically any service. However, I'm disappointed to see how few of these sessions are actually being organised - 5 days throughout the entire year currently!
_________________
Daniel Evans
Tea drinker and brass polisher
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stato



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Posts: 547
Location: Here there & everywhere

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stato wrote:
Stato wrote:
Bryan Clarke wrote:
My take, for what it's worth is that although 250.000 paying passengers might seem a long way off, it's clearly not impossible as we have been there before.


What a great thought. Lets get distributing those timetables everywhere. Spread the word!
The interweb is only 1 way of selling the SVR and I think it isnt reaching all of our likely visitors by a long way.

Still the best method by my reckoning is get the paper timetable out on the high street and to friends & work colleagues. If we all gave out 20 timetables this year (12000 members) thats up to some possible 240000 further visits. It aint rocket science just plain simple foot soldering and talking.

So how many timetables can you get out there?
Good news : Bad news time.
Good news - there are SVR leaflets at Birmingham International station. Hurray.
Bad news - it is an expensive fold out leaflet but it does not show the timetable. What is going on at HQ. This is not right.
_________________
Cheers
Stato (staying anonymous for personal reasons)
Life member of this mad planet.
Professional coffin dodger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robin



Joined: 07 Apr 2014
Posts: 299
Location: Stourbridge

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre yesterday, where they have probably the largest leaflet rack of any railway I have visited. Leaflets from here, there and everywhere, but none from the SVR. Crying or Very sad

I happened to have half a dozen SVR timetables with me, so quietly added them to the rack. Within an hour, they had all been snapped up. Wish I had taken a lot more!

Some railways seem to have got distribution down to a fine art - their timetables appear all over the country not just at other railways but motorway services, public buildings and so on. Why isn't the SVR at the forefront of doing this? Surely we are missing a trick here?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrmover



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 870
Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which distribution companies do we use? I was on a H&S training course at the Ramada Hotel in Telford last week and the leaflet company did not carry SVR leaflets. Plenty for National Trust, Cadbury World etc, but we could be missing out on an opportunity. Yes. it all costs, but we need to make the most of all opportunities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stato



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Posts: 547
Location: Here there & everywhere

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
Which distribution companies do we use? I was on a H&S training course at the Ramada Hotel in Telford last week and the leaflet company did not carry SVR leaflets. Plenty for National Trust, Cadbury World etc, but we could be missing out on an opportunity. Yes. it all costs, but we need to make the most of all opportunities.
i think the lack of the right type of timetable leaflets is not doing the passenger no' s any good at all. Be good to hear from somone in charge about this.
_________________
Cheers
Stato (staying anonymous for personal reasons)
Life member of this mad planet.
Professional coffin dodger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hearn_p



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 5741
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're now into May so there will be 3 months' (Feb > April) passenger numbers available. Other than the Spring gala numbers there's been no info as far as I'm aware, I hope they'll be included in the next update (noticing the last round-up on SVRLive was October-December).

There was the delay in reopening (with free travel tickets for a return visit) so it will be interesting to see the numbers for that reason.

I'd be interested to see the Peppa Pig numbers as well, as tickets were still available on the day.

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Stato



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Posts: 547
Location: Here there & everywhere

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
We're now into May so there will be 3 months' (Feb > April) passenger numbers available. Other than the Spring gala numbers there's been no info as far as I'm aware, I hope they'll be included in the next update (noticing the last round-up on SVRLive was October-December).

There was the delay in reopening (with free travel tickets for a return visit) so it will be interesting to see the numbers for that reason.

I'd be interested to see the Peppa Pig numbers as well, as tickets were still available on the day.

Patrick
... classified material ....... access denied ..........
_________________
Cheers
Stato (staying anonymous for personal reasons)
Life member of this mad planet.
Professional coffin dodger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hearn_p



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 5741
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An NBI has been issued and is shown in the private section - simply because I'm not sure if it is confidential (though it might appear on SVRLive!)

Highlights:
Our passenger numbers are down when compared to the same period in 2014, but our revenues have increased by 99,000 (6.7%).
The forecast for the year is to achieve another profitable trading year.
So far this year we have invested 650,000 into projects.
The Spring Gala and 1940s have both seen increases in passengers, but the Family Fun Weekend and Education trains have reducing numbers.

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Derby4



Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 1748

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a comparison the GWSR half-year figures to 31st July, freely available on their "Boardroom Blog", show turnover at 836,000 against a budget of 793,000, with a net profit of 84,000, against a budgeted net loss of 20,000.
Passenger numbers on scheduled services, number not quoted as such, were up 7%, with all major special events deemed a success. Group bookings at the half-year exceeded the previous year's full year total, with fish & chip specials and footplate experience courses, steam and diesel, sold out.
They comment that the quite poor summer weather has not impacted on passenger numbers as such.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bryan Clarke



Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Posts: 209
Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
An NBI has been issued and is shown in the private section - simply because I'm not sure if it is confidential (though it might appear on SVRLive!)

Highlights:
Our passenger numbers are down when compared to the same period in 2014, but our revenues have increased by 99,000 (6.7%).
The forecast for the year is to achieve another profitable trading year.
So far this year we have invested 650,000 into projects.
The Spring Gala and 1940s have both seen increases in passengers, but the Family Fun Weekend and Education trains have reducing numbers.

Patrick


There is something seriously wrong if passenger numbers are down on a deliberately conservative predicted number, which one would assume is well below any reasonable expectation. Other Heritage Railways have faired much better, so it can't be blamed on 'the weather'. The question of passenger numbers is probably the biggest single challenge the SVR faces, above volunteers, locos, infrastructure, rolling stock etc.. That the company appears incapable of increasing these dire results year on year, should lead to some serious questions being asked. Why do we insist on setting our ambitions and targets so low, and even then fail to meet the manipulated figures. I would venture if revenues are up, we should be asking ourselves if this is through savings or are our charges too high. The railway needs more passengers. At best we are, year on year bumping along the base of what should be possible.

The question has to be WHY ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KJEvans



Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 1245
Location: Kidderminster or Edinburgh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that there are two problems:
1) the price is too high for what you get. Note the latter part, you can charge more but you've got to offer value for money.
2) the marketing. Where is it? The railway just isn't promoting itself well enough.

The root of these two problems is the same.
_________________
Kieren, Kidderminster Station Staff and TTI

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group