SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

45110 and August 1968 / 2018
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: 45110 and August 1968 / 2018 Reply with quote

Are we missing something with next year's 50th anniversary of the end of BR steam?

Clearly too late to return 45110 to steam, but surely some good publicity to be had from a repainted 45110 on static display, for instance at Kidderminster, footplate open for viewing, and some explanatory info about the engine's role at the end of steam, and hauling one leg of 1S57?

If we "cant afford" the money for a repaint, do the Heritage Lottery people have some quick procedure for small grants, say 5000?

I don't think the external condition of the loco as it is now in the Engine House would be appropriate for a display in "August 1968" condition, but that is perhaps one for Mr McQuade..

Rob
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not convinced Rob.

Some good publicity could be had from 45110 on static display at The Engine House, perhaps with the footplate open for viewing, and some explanatory info about the engine's role at the end of steam, and hauling one leg of 1S57.

I'm not sure that locating her at Kidder, or repainting from black to black, would drive that much additional publicity or revenue?

Against this is the cost and people's time (perhaps to the detriment of other beneficial things?) that moving and/or repainting her would involve.

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick:

I'll email the GM and see if anything has been considered for the loco for next year.

External paint condition looks pretty dire, at least when I was in the Engine House about a month ago.

Rob
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1968 condition then Smile

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
LMS2968

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
1968 condition then :)

Patrick

Precisely! It's probably more appropriate to her 1968 condition than a new paint job would be, but a thorough clean wouldn't go amiss.

And she hauled two legs of 1T57, by the way: Lime St - Manchester and then the final leg, Manchester - Lime Street.
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents: If your definition of "1968 condition" is to be in steam, then we know that is not possible.

Perhaps I should have said "made presentable" by a repaint. At present it looks like a very dirty matt black. Looks rather sad for what is actually quite an historic locomotive. yes, under cover and not deteriorating, but as 42968 says, a good clean would not come amiss!

Patrick, please don't be so negative! Try and look for reasons why we can make something out of next year's anniversary, rather why we cannot.

Line it up at Kidderminster and have a flying visit from 70013.....

Rob

[/b]

Last edited by Derby4 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
LMS2968

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but the current and worn paintwork is more appropriate to its condition in 1968 than a fresh and sparkly one!
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry 42968 I just retyped my post whilst you were posting. Point taken.

However, consider the current mainline active locos that were there at the end of steam, 70013 and Ian Riley's 44871.
Are they still with original 1968 paintwork? Certainly not, and are fitted with all the modern gizmos, OTMR black boxes, air braking capability in some instances, ground level tender tank fillers...etc.

Maybe 45110 is in fact the remaining "most original" August 1968 loco? So although not steamable does deserve some of the limelight next year.

Rob

Postscript: An honourable mention for a certain 8F that was active up to the end of steam.....
bradleyman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Patrick:

I'll email the GM and see if anything has been considered for the loco for next year.

External paint condition looks pretty dire, at least when I was in the Engine House about a month ago.

Rob

Lets hope that your enquiry was accompanied by an offer to organise the event you seek. Most practical supporters of the railway are pretty busy already.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:

Patrick, please don't be so negative! Try and look for reasons why we can make something out of next year's anniversary, rather why we cannot.

Line it up at Kidderminster and have a flying visit from 70013.....

Rob

[/b]

At some point I guess a shunt may be required at the Engine House involving 7819 and/or another loco to go to Bridgnorth to replace 75069 - I've no idea what is currently planned. If the timing was right this could be part of it, perhaps with 4566 or 5764 going the other way.

I'll be as negative or otherwise as I want thanks, but my point stands - would the railway get more paying visitors if 45110 was in the open at Kidderminster, would that exceed the expense and what would you not do instead (people's time)? The point isn't positivity or otherwise, it's whether it stacks up in time and money to move from a bright idea to a business proposition. As I say, I'm sceptical. I think we could 'make something' based in the Engine House out of next year's anniversary.

Worth raising though.

Patrick

Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At present the display in the Engine House is in respect of the big flood of 2007.
Perhaps when that finishes there would be an opportunity in the Summer of 2018 for an "end of BR steam" display.

As far as 45110 is concerned, perhaps there are just two "windows of opportunity", assuming it stays where it is. When the Engine House closes at the end of the 2017 season 45110 could be given a thorough clean.

Depending then on how it looks, leave it as it is, or undertake a repaint in the January closed period.

Anyway, as I said, i'll email the GM and report his response.

Rob
LMS2968

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the loco on 11th August 1968 at Edge Hill station. She had taken the Fifteen Guinea special into Lime Street and was on her way back to Lostock Hall, light engine. It can be seen that the paintwork, although clean, was a long way from a fresh repaint.

Apologies for the photo quality; it was taken by a sixteen year old in the late evening with the family box Brownie!
cherry_p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMS2968 wrote:
This was the loco on 11th August 1968 at Edge Hill station. She had taken the Fifteen Guinea special into Lime Street and was on her way back to Lostock Hall, light engine. It can be seen that the paintwork, although clean, was a long way from a fresh repaint.
I can only agree here -- by 1968 standards, it was clean, but hardly in ex-works condition; I saw it a few times in July/August '68 -- an unexpected ride behind it from Carnforth to Preston tender-first on the Monday of the last week of steam, and finally photographing it on Aug 11th at Rainhill; I certainly never expected that I'd subsequently fire and drive it many times!!

It certainly needed the repaint that we gave it for its naming ceremony in 1971 - by then, 3 years later, the paintwork was looking tired!

I think to give it a repaint now would be totally inappropiate -- a good clean to make it look like it did in '68 is all that needs doing.
mrmover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any members of the "Master Neverers" who still have connections with the railway today? I believe it was them who were responsible for the condition that the Black 5's were turned out for the specials of Aug 4th (as an 11 year old I was on one of the SLS specials) and presumably shed staff were responsible for the final preparation a week later.

As others have said, on the basis that it won't be in steam next year, give her a good clean and present her in much the same way she was in August 1968. After all, we haven't got any blue and grey Mk1's to go with her if she was in steam.
LMS2968

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still a few MNA members on the Railway, most notably David Williams, Tony Bending and Mick York. I think Dave Lacey is still involved too, all I think were there at the time.

Others I recall were Dave Holroyd and Alan Castle, at that time Alan Cattle. Wasn't Jim Bodfish involved too?

Not my photo so I hope Mr Burns doesn't mind, but how many can you recognise?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: