SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR Coaches on the SVR
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: GWR Coaches on the SVR Reply with quote

SVR Charitable trust publicity and the share offer state that six Great Western carriages are to be restored for use behind Hagley Hall when it has been overhauled. Does anyone know which carriages they are likely to be please? I can think of six GW carriages needing repairs or full restoration not in passenger use, but are these the ones?

9103 & 650 under restoration

Of course there are more in GW2 that need a bit of 'TLC'
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.

Last edited by Lench_S on Wed May 08, 2013 11:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
hart_r

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Hagley Hall destined for the mainline after overhaul?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Hagley Hall's Carriages' Reply with quote

HLoader wrote:
SVR Charitable trust publicity and the share offer state that six Great Western carriages are to be restored for use behind Hagley Hall when it has been overhauled. Does anyone know which carriages they are likely to be please? I can think of six GW carriages needing repairs or full restoration not in passenger use, but are these the ones?

4786 - is that still on the SVR?

9103 & 650 under restoration

Of course there are more in GW2 that need a bit of 'TLC'

I asked, and was told it is the current GW2 set

hart_r wrote:
Is Hagley Hall destined for the mainline after overhaul?

I'm almost certain not

Patrick
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Hagley Hall's Carriages' Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
I asked, and was told it is the current GW2 set

Thanks, I thought that might have been the case. It makes sense financially bearing in mind the condition of the others.

On the subject of overhaul of GWR carriages, 6913 is looking very nice after its recent repaint.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
Peter Share

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: GW Carriages Reply with quote

Of the coaches listed, 5043 is the 2857 mess coach - that will not be restored, and 2426 is the mess coach at Hampton Loade, and it is in a parlous state, it being in a state whereby if it is moved towards Kidderminster, there is query as to whether it will make it out of the siding in one piece.

Peter
Lench_S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Carriages Reply with quote

Peter Share wrote:
Of the coaches listed, 5043 is the 2857 mess coach - that will not be restored, and 2426 is the mess coach at Hampton Loade, and it is in a parlous state, it being in a state whereby if it is moved towards Kidderminster, there is query as to whether it will make it out of the siding in one piece.

Peter

I am aware that 5043 is needed as the 2857 workshop and mess. I was simply listing all Great Western carriages on the SVR not operational. Being station staff at Hampton Loade I'm fully aware of the situation with 2426, it is a great shame but we have no alternative accommodation at the moment. I'd love to see it restored in future years, but the state its in, well...

I have been informed by the secretary of the Great Western (SVR) Association that 6045 and 2426 are due to be restored next by the group, once 650 and 9103 are completed.

So GW2 is to be restored, makes financial sense I suppose but it's a shame 2119 and 1087 seem to be being ignored by the SVR.
haynes_m

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: GW Stock Repairs Reply with quote

I am glad you have noticed that the repairs to the GW sets have long been deferred and deferred and deferred. Not only the GW2 requires a complete overhaul but also 9615, 9654, 1087, 2119 have been waiting for repairs for far too long. Even GW1 is showing signs of wear as most vehicles exceed 5 years sine any sort of attention.

Myself and others have been pressuring for over 5 years to say they should be part of the normal rolling programme and not just ignored. I was told they were to be done at Bewdley but then that went over to contract work and the work was deferred yet again.

It is ironic that we now have a heritage committee and our coaches that fit in with the heritage nature of the line are not in the normal programme.

The GW(SVR)A is making excellent progress on 650 and making the missing parts for 6045 and 2426. We are looking forward to being able to put 2426 under cover to dry out and to raise the money for framework repairs. Its top and bottom stringers are in good order but the corner posts and some of the intermediate framing is in a poor condition - hence the need to dry it out.

Please keep the pressure on to amend the programme as even this one off investment will only do half the job and then only for four years until repairs are needed again.

Thanks for your support.
J-Green

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I do agree that the GW sets should get the love and attention due to them, the lack of buffet, wheelchair saloon and their comparatively limited accommodation due to their design probably count against their more regular service.

Their non-slam door handles too are probably best saved for weekends when platform staff are plentiful; we are after all unleashing them on an unknowing public!

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
Lench_S

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Green wrote:
Whilst I do agree that the GW sets should get the love and attention due to them, the lack of buffet, wheelchair saloon and their comparatively limited accommodation due to their design probably count against their more regular service.

Their non-slam door handles too are probably best saved for weekends when platform staff are plentiful; we are after all unleashing them on an unknowing public!

Buffet 1856 (chocolate and cream) has, from time to time, been used as part of GW2. Of course as mentioned above long-term plans will see a quick lunch car emerge from the junior club coach if these come to fruition.

Set L has no wheelchair saloon I thought? Apart from conversion of one of the GW passenger brakes there is no easy answer to this.

9055 acts as wheelchair saloon in GW2.

I agree on the point about non-slam doors though. Sad

Last edited by Lench_S on Wed May 08, 2013 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelchair accomodation in set L is a smallish area in the brake. There is a 4xseat for able bodied passengers accompanying the disabled passenger. With lots of buggies and cycles its not ideal but does seem to work.

I have only worked GW2 once at the wnter sory spring gala but I recall one of the saloons had facilities for the disabled i.e. double door access. Cant get records of vehicle number at moment but 9550 seems to stick in the memory as It had a leaking roof..

Just found a reference to 9055 in an earlier thread so that is likely to be the vehicle

Last edited by threelinkdave on Wed May 08, 2013 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lench_S

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: GW Stock Repairs Reply with quote

haynes_m wrote:
I am glad you have noticed that the repairs to the GW sets have long been deferred and deferred and deferred. Not only the GW2 requires a complete overhaul but also 9615, 9654, 1087, 2119 have been waiting for repairs for far too long. Even GW1 is showing signs of wear as most vehicles exceed 5 years sine any sort of attention.

Myself and others have been pressuring for over 5 years to say they should be part of the normal rolling programme and not just ignored. I was told they were to be done at Bewdley but then that went over to contract work and the work was deferred yet again.

It is ironic that we now have a heritage committee and our coaches that fit in with the heritage nature of the line are not in the normal programme.

The GW(SVR)A is making excellent progress on 650 and making the missing parts for 6045 and 2426. We are looking forward to being able to put 2426 under cover to dry out and to raise the money for framework repairs. Its top and bottom stringers are in good order but the corner posts and some of the intermediate framing is in a poor condition - hence the need to dry it out.

Please keep the pressure on to amend the programme as even this one off investment will only do half the job and then only for four years until repairs are needed again.

Thanks for your support.

Very interesting points. I even thought 9615 had left the SVR as it seems to be completely hidden! As though it is intended to be forgotten.... Is it one of the ones sheeted on CS1? 9654 seems to be in a state of restoration, unless the GWR developed an overall light green livery that is... was this halted due to the changes at Bewdley Paintshop? Yes, both GWR sets appear to need severe attention. It seems clear that these sets are not priority with focus on LMS, MK1s and teaks, even though set S is the perfect ambassador for the SVR if looked after correctly.

Seems as though the promise of work being done at Bewdley vanished into thin air once the changes were made, a shame. I appreciate that Kidderminster works must have its hands full with sets L, M, C and N but these carriages seem in much better condition than their Great Western counterparts, unless the gleaming paintwork and lovingly upholstered seats hide secrets!

GW(SVR)A - keep up the fantastic work please! I saw a photo of 650 from 2006 the other day and looking at it now would not believe it was the same vehicle!

I really do hope 2426 is undercover soon. It seems to get worse every week, things are falling off inside now Sad Sad Sad

Just out of interest, what are 'Bewdley contract carriage services' working on at the moment?
Lench_S

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave wrote:
Wheelchair accomodation in set L is a smallish area in the brake. There is a 4xseat for able bodied passengers accompanying the disabled passenger. With lots of buggies and cycles its not ideal but does seem to work.

Ah yes of course. I was thinking of actual conversions like 24105, 4690 and 80776.

threelinkdave wrote:
I have only worked GW2 once at the winter sorry spring gala but I recall one of the saloons had facilities for the disabled i.e. double door access. Cant get records of vehicle number at moment but 9550 seems to stick in the memory as It had a leaking roof..

9055. I knew this but had forgotten! So GW2 does in fact have a wheelchair saloon of sorts!

Even 9055 has a leaking roof. Sums up the situation I think.

See http://www.gw-svr-a.org.uk/9055.html
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to travel on the current GW2 set on Saturday 11th May. The condition of the coaches seems to be worse than I thought. The paintwork on most vehicles appears to be peeling and faded, 829 looks like it has been washed a bit too vigorously! I think about three vehicles had taped up seats in some compartments. Some of the vehicles, especially 7284, smelt very musty. The toplights have left this set, presumably for set S( 8 )? So there is no invalid coach now. I think they were in it for the spring gala. Several doors appeared out of use and a lot of writing/transfers seemed to be missing and worn away. Almost all of the GWR coats of arms on the sides of the coaches were worn away. With the state of this set, I can see why it is not used very often! I think the best vehicle in the set was, perhaps unsurprisingly, the MK1 RMB 1856.

I know the door handles are a potential safety issue, but that aside the carriages are marvellous inside and with a little bit of TLC could really provide the heritage experience for passengers. I wish the restoration project as part of the share issue for this set the best of luck...

I think the formation was 7284, *, 829, 1856, 5883, *, *, 6562.
* = one of 1086, 1116, 1146, can't remember.

I hate to be moaning like this, but with the excellent condition of almost all of sets C, M, L and N, the condition of GW2 sticks out a bit!
oliver

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was last on GW2, the inside didn't seem too bad and it has always been my favourite set because of the fact I quite like the compartments.
I agree on the fact that on the outside they are a but tatty and not up to SVR standards.
And there is a whole list of other reaons why the set is not used that much:
*The door handles
*No disabled access
*No buffet
*Low capacity set

I wonder if any of these things will be addressed when the set is smartened up as part of the share plan? The handles and capacity might be tricky but i'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to fit a buffet and maybe some disabled access?
BIGREDENGINE

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWR door handles, no station staff weekdays?
Simple, put an extra volunteer on the train to assist, I would volunteer for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: