SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where have you seen, or not seen, SVR brochures?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Where have you seen, or not seen, SVR brochures? Reply with quote

The subject of SVR leaflets/brochures/timetables has come up a couple of times recently.
Would it be helpful to report sightings as a means of checking that they are being distributed and displayed, or perhaps more importantly, report non sightings to highlight missed opportunities?
In the past few weeks, I have seen the full timetable brochure at;
Worcester Guidhall
Upton on Severn TIC
Evesham Country Park

I realise this thread could become very long and disjointed if everyone reports every sighting.
Is the distribution list available, then at least we could limit it to reports of missing brochures and suggestions for new sites?
bradleyman

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on view at Stroud Tourist Information but in stock; put on view when mentioned.
Not on view at Gloucester Tourist Information.
Not on view in Cheltenham Shopping Arcade
Not on view at Gloucester Rly Station

All these locations within 1 hrs travel of the SVR - the obvious catchment area?

At all the above details of other lines were available in some cases considerably further away than the SVR.

As suggested if we didn't have the now customary wall of marketing silence the list of locations which are supposed to stock these could be checked from time to time.
Peter Share

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Timetables Reply with quote

None seen today in Wolverhampton down side waiting room.

Peter
sharpo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering what percentage of people are likely to look at brochures?

With "social media" the way it is & many people not looking at anything other than their mobile phone, do they browse through leaflets any more?

I suppose having knowledge of railways, if I am going somewhere I will do a "search" for a web site to find the information I need. As you would expect, I avoid all links to twittery & farcebook sites but seem to find all I need to know.

Are brochures distributed to places like hotels, B&Bs etc?

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Stato

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of leaflets in a central Birmingham hotel yesterday. No SVR material but did have one for the Bridgnorth cliff railway.
Professional coffin dodger.
Knotty

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I commented on a previous thread Stratford on Avon have nothing at visitors centre or along the Shakespeare trail, but they did have Didcot Railway Centre and the Gloucester Warwick Railway.
Robin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a rant recently, credit where it is due. Non-timetable version seen at:
-Hopwood Park Services, M42 Junction 2 (but only one copy!)
-Birmingham International Station
-Stourbridge Library
I was wondering why we needed a non-timetable leaflet as well as the normal one, but presumably it does not need recalling and replacing each winter.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extract from NBI-M-008 4th February 2015 from Clare Gibbard, Marketing & Communications Manager

Quote:
This year, in addition to the main timetable brochure, we will be introducing a new more concise leaflet to attract first-time visitors to the SVR. This innovative format is designed for leaflet racks outside the Railway used by distribution companies (outlets include motorway services, supermarkets, guest houses, caravan parks, leisure centres, libraries etc.) – with the front-cover being specifically tailored to appeal directly to would-be visitors browsing their way through a number of attractions. The top half of the front cover is particularly important for communicating what we are at a first glance, hence specific reference to ‘steam railway’ and the close up visual of engine. It features a very simple introduction to the Railway, and an appealing graphical fold-out map of the line. It’s somewhat experimental – and is not intended to replace the main timetable brochure – however I believe that it neatly communicates the essence of the railway to more casual visitors.

The new leaflet deliberately encourages visitors to investigate further – their next destination will ideally be the line itself, or more probably, our website.

Patrick
mrmover

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good stuff, I'm sure, but whatever brochure we prepare and print, it's no use unless it is out there for our potential customers to see. There seem to be many instances where the brochure racks do not hold any material for the Railway, regardless of who it might be aimed at.

Is this because we do not contract with ALL the brochure companies, or maybe that the ones that we do pay good money to are not fulfilling their obligations by checking and restocking.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, unless one asks the SVR directly one won't get an answer. Contact the GM, post a question in the private forum on here, or use the SVROnline forum (last post: 8/11/14)

I recall from *somewhere* some time ago that some sort of review of leafletting was underway?

Patrick
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
I recall from *somewhere* some time ago that some sort of review of leafletting was underway?

Patrick

Q&A in Feb or whenever it was mentioned this, at the time it was said the railway don't use that many of the big distributors, such as Take One Media - (they're everywhere for goodness sake), but that it would be 'looked at'.

At the time it was asked if people see a leaflet rack with no SVR leaflets please obtain the company details for who replenishes it and feedback to Comberton Place.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thanks.

Quote:
Q&A Session - February 22nd
Question: The circulation of the SVR leaflets seems to be hit and miss, with areas of central Birmingham missed out.
Answer: A request was made that if we could have details of the firms that have supplied and re-fill the rack it would help the SVR identify if this is one of the firms that we already use, or consider using them.

http://www.svrlive.com/Pages/News.aspx
Stato

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feel that there are less timetable leaflets being printed now?
Are we allowed to know the quantity printed this year and also the quantity say 10 years ago?
Professional coffin dodger.
thompson_r

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:

Patrick

About three years ago I, along with other volunteers, attended a meeting about leaflet distribution to see if any help could be given. One decision was to determine which volunteers already undertook distribution locally and where, in order to identify gaps and also to prevent duplication.

I'm not sure of the overall outcome, but since then I have been taking timetables to half a dozen hotels in my town, plus the library and the only supermarket which would accept them.

As has been mentioned earlier, the Tourist Information Centres (TICs) vary; my local one is very good, orders from the SVR directly and displays them appropriately. When I spoke to them, they told me they also arrange a 'Spring Fayre' for all their small tourist attractions (B&Bs, cafes etc.) where the attractions can take away whatever leaflets they want for local display.
Buffer

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have rarely seen a SVR brochure at any distance from the railway, this is not the case with the WSR and GWSR whose brochures seem to pop up everywhere. In the case of the latter, their catchment area and ours overlap and when the GWSR reaches Broadway in the fairly near future, there will be two large heritage railways not much more than 35 miles apart and in the same county to boot. This could pose quite a threat to us which will only increase as the GWSR eventually extends northwards to Honeybourne and possibly Stratford-on-Avon.
The GWSR cannot match us at the moment but this is a young railway with a very enthusiastic, and growing, band of volunteers as the rapid progress on the completely new station at Broadway shows. We must be on our guard and at least try to match the coverage that the GWSR seems to have achieved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: