SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arley Ferry
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Arley Ferry Reply with quote

After the discussion on Hampton Loade ferry, a link to an ITV news report from 1971 claiming that the SVR had bought the Arley Ferry has been posted on the unofficial SVR Facebook page.

The Facebook post
The news story video
Kidderminster Shuttle article on the ferry.

Is it correct that the SVR bought the ferry? If so, how did the remains of it end up in a private garden in Bewdley?

If anyone wants to look at the ferry, not that there's a lot left to look at, cross the bridge from the station in to Bewdley, turn immediate right by the chip shop and walk up Severn Side North.
At the end of the houses, turn left in to Dog Lane.
There are a couple of new houses on the right built up high as flood protection, after that there's a row of old terrace house.
It's in the front garden of one of those houses with an information panel alongside.

Edit to add;
The garden on Google Street View, https://goo.gl/maps/i07qs
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't read the unofficial SVR Facebook page, but don't worry - I won't lose any sleep over it.

It baffles me as to why people post stuff on faceboook that not everybody can read.....

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise you were actually unable to view public pages on Facebook, I thought you just avoided it as a matter of principle.
I'm aware some people have Facebook blocked on their work computers, that's why I duplicated the subject here and posted the other two direct links as well.
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
I didn't realise you were actually unable to view public pages on Facebook, I thought you just avoided it as a matter of principle.
I'm aware some people have Facebook blocked on their work computers, that's why I duplicated the subject here and posted the other two direct links as well.

If it's something that might interest me then I look (or try to) but I won't sign up to facebook, or twitter.

All I get is:-

Facebook Login
You must log in to continue.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I haven't got a television, although I will occasionally watch TV programmes on my PC.
As for posting stuff on Facebook, the Unofficial SVR Facebook page has got 2504 members, this forum has got 754.
Not all of those will be currently active, and there will be many others who read one or both without being a member, but Facebook does seem to be the more active one of the two.
Danny252

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whilst one is very easy to join (Facebook), the other requires asking nicely and potentially quite a wait!
Stato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use FB as it smacks of big brother. Good old Uncle Sam.

I think there is a formal complaint still standing in the US claiming that FB had broken the law when it conducted the study on the emotions of its users without their knowledge or consent. The study was also criticised by the British Psychological Society which said, in a letter to The Guardian, "There has undoubtedly been some degree of harm caused, with many individuals affected by increased levels of negative emotion, with consequent potential economic costs, increase in possible mental health problems and burden on health services. The so-called 'positive' manipulation is also potentially harmful.

What else is FB getting up to that is not yet know? No wonder it is easy to join.
Professional coffin dodger.
mrmover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that 50% of targeted crime (i.e. not opportunistic) is a result of information gleaned from social media. People posting photos of themselves on holiday advising the criminal fraternity that they are away; photos of their valued possessions; giving away they personal details and so on.

This is the reason why I don't use FB or Twitter, and also the reason why I remain anonymous on this and other forums.
sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's amusing to read the stories about people posting photos of their weddings and other events on silly social media, then the DWP catch up with them & stop their "numerous allowances and benefits" they weren't entitled to. Some people are so stupid, not to mention making the rest of us pay more in taxes to support their lazy ways!

cherry_p

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
I read somewhere that 50% of targeted crime (i.e. not opportunistic) is a result of information gleaned from social media. People posting photos of themselves on holiday advising the criminal fraternity that they are away; photos of their valued possessions; giving away they personal details and so on.
I don't see that as a reason for not using Facebook at all; I regularly read what other people put there -- it IS a good way of finding out up-to-date stuff, e.g. I first saw on FB this week that 7802's frames were on their way back to Bridgnorth. I then updated the SVR 'Non-operational steam locomotives.' website page to say so.
What I DON'T do is post anything about being away on holiday, except possibly once I'm home.
People just have to be careful what they say; the fact that a lot of people AREN'T is not a reason for not using it.
mrmover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because a man is stupid and makes stupid posts exposing him to the ne'er do wells of this world doesn't mean that we make it easier for him to be even more stupid.
Peter Share

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Arley Ferry Reply with quote

I'm afraid that I do not see the relevance of the last few posts in respect of this topic.
Harking back, I certainly was not aware that the SVR had ever bought Arley ferry, and it was eventually moored up in Bewdley, where it was destroyed in one of their floodings (before the defences were put in!)

Peter
Stato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
Just because a man is stupid and makes stupid posts exposing him to the ne'er do wells of this world doesn't mean that we make it easier for him to be even more stupid.
ok fair enough but FB is a no go area as Im comcerned as mentioned.
Professional coffin dodger.
Doune1965

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook is great and so immediate. There is so much more about the railway posted on Facebook and its so up to date.
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so another topic is distracted by the weekly moan about Facebook. If people don't want to use it - fine - but it is such a big part of the world today that its difficult to justify moaning you can't see what's on there.

Its worth noting that pretty much every person posting updates on this forum also uses Facebook, as it is a great way to exchange and share information. At the same time there a many people I have spoken to on the railway who use Facebook but don't bother with this forum as its full of the same moans from the same people over and over again (not my words!).

If people don't want to use Facebook its their choice but please don't bring this forum into a black hole of irrelevance by making it full of complaints about social media.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: