SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spring Diesel Festival: 19 to 21 May 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
4670 visitors according to the GM. Phenomenal organisation by Phil Dunster and his team - my hat goes off to them.

At the same time the Swanage attracted 'over 4000' visitors to their gala, with fewer visiting locos and without the high profile loco namings etc that we had. Given that 4670 is an impressive number in itself, it begs the question, how many of those were die hard diesel enthusiasts who would have gone to both galas and how many came because of the nature of our gala. How can we turn that 4670 into 6000?

Run on the Sunday. I'm not proposing we do, but a lot of social media feedback was that Sundays was the one day people could make. Swanage also ran D213 and its withdrawal from the SVR Gala did put some off. I'll add my thanks to the organisers.

Is there sufficient support for a second diesel gala?

Regards

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
mrmover

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday maybe. I'm not a diesel lover, but I am an SVR supporter. Something that shows the Railway in a good light and turns a profitable shilling has to be good, providing that it doesn't detract from our core raison d'etre, that is running a steam railway.

I'm glad that most of the bad behaviour that marred some diesel galas in the past has disappeared (although the theft of a worksplate from the new DRS 68 is atrocious) and the running of this gala shows us kettle supporters that there is more than one professional side to our hobby.

An extra day would have taken the numbers above 6000 - assuming that there were enough volunteers to run the event, so maybe one for the future.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBI Today:

Diesel Fans Dig Deep

As one of the organisations that made a financial contribution to the Diesel Depot, the Charitable Trust was delighted to be amongst the guests invited to the recent opening, and to see what a splendid job has been done on the design and construction of this new facility.

It was also extremely gratifying that so many of the thousands of diesel fans who visited the Depot for a tour over the Festival weekend were willing to make contributions to the bucket collection organised by the Charitable Trust.

An impressive £1808.05 was raised, and because this was done through the Trust, it will be possible to claim a further 25% in Gift Aid, making a total of £2260.06. All of this will be restricted to Diesel projects.

Chairman of the Diesel Committee, Jonathan Dunster said:
“It was fantastic to see the generosity of visitors to the Diesel Depot during the Spring Diesel Festival weekend. We’ll be using the money raised on the Saturday and Sunday to continue to fit out the depot and improve the site further for our hard working volunteers”.

The Trust’s Director of Development, Shelagh Paterson added:
“The amount raised re-affirms the commitment of the Railway’s diesel supporters, and we look forward to working closely with the Diesel Committee on future fundraising opportunities for this essential part of the Railway.”

Last edited by cherry_p on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
KJEvans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVR official FB reports that the builders plate of 68025 has been returned safely.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear the plate has been returned and also that plenty of dosh went in the bucket for the diesel depot.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
ManorFan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave wrote:
Could the railway cope with 6000? There were a lot of complaints of overcrowding, not just the TC. There were also times when Bewdley 2 & 3 seemed fairly crowded. Is there a practical limit to gala numbers?

II actually couldn't help but smile a little when I found myself on Bewdley platform 2 on the Friday, awaiting the 2x73's +4TC. I have NEVER seen so many people on those platforms - literally couldn't move. And I have to note the impressive professionalism and patience of the staff at Bewdley - goes without saying that all of those people on that platform crammed into the 4TC when the 73's arrived; I had intended to join said train myself but it became obvious VERY quickly that the passenger capacity on the 4TC would be quickly overwhelmed, and it was. The platform staff dealt with it very nicely, including the station master, who had to deal with a group of extremely frustrated chaps who found themselves unable to board the train due to it being overcrowded - it was surreal to watch to be honest; it felt a lot like something that one would ordinarily see on a busy 'mainline' station.

My only minor ‘complaint’ would be that the 4TC which, in view of it being the only air braked stock in attendance, was obviously going to hauled by some of the more ‘desirable’ visiting locos and proved to be of insufficient size to cope with the demand.

Anyway, minor gripe aside, this was THE best gala I ever attended and the visitor numbers speak for themselves. A big thanks to all concerned in the organisation and running of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: