SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacific Power: 22 to 26 September 2016 (replaced ASG)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Pacific Power: 22 to 26 September 2016 (replaced ASG) Reply with quote

I know its a long way off, but it has been reported that Flying Scotsman will be visiting for next years ASG!
KJEvans

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone wondering, it's in the latest issue of The Railway Magazine out tomorrow. Running in at the ELR over Christmas and the new year, spells at York and the NYMR, several railtours and then visiting the Valley, so we get her relatively early.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more information on the ASG can be found on the website http://www.svr.co.uk/SEItem.aspx?a=100 including this:
Quote:
A supplement will be payable to travel behind Flying Scotsman. This supplement will be in addition to the relevant daytime fare. This supplement will permit ONE timed single journey, on a specific date, between Kidderminster and Bridgnorth (or reverse). Further booking information will be available in the New Year.

Hmmm, my personal opinion is that this might not work that well. Certainly not during the gala.

Last edited by KJEvans on Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danny252

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autotrain supplements have been a long term feature and have never resulted in complaints to my knowledge. I suspect the idea behind it is to avoid the ridiculous situations that occurred with Royal Scot/Tornado earlier this year, with people being turned away from trains half an hour before departure.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
Autotrain supplements have been a long term feature and have never resulted in complaints to my knowledge. I suspect the idea behind it is to avoid the ridiculous situations that occurred with Royal Scot/Tornado earlier this year, with people being turned away from trains half an hour before departure.

Not quite the same really (and we haven't had autotrain supplements for the past couple of years as the coaches and loco have been based here).
Pre-book only trains in the week before and then a open house on the gala would to me be a better option (though that would be dependant on exactly how long it would be visiting for)

hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the link works. Leo Roberts on FB has posted an ITV Central news item which mentionsFlying Scotsman's trip to the SVR

https://www.facebook.com/100010001267160/videos/220052561671451/
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
Danny252 wrote:

Not quite the same really (and we haven't had autotrain supplements for the past couple of years as the coaches and loco have been based here).
Pre-book only trains in the week before and then a open house on the gala would to me be a better option (though that would be dependant on exactly how long it would be visiting for)

I did a rough count on 450 passengers (9 coaches) x 4 days x 4 single trips = 7200, roughly a usual gala budget. There seems to be a lot of additional interest though. Not everyone will want to travel but equally some would travel several times. Like Tornado/Royal Scot some trains will be overfull without arrangements

Patrick
oliver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the SVR really have a choice about this. There has got to be some sort of regulation/supplement for people to travel behind Scotsman otherwise there is going to be overcrowding to the extent that it becomes very uncomfortable and even dangerous. I travelled behind 828 and Tornado when it came for the first time and I suspect Scotsman's trains would be worse still and that simply cannot be allowed to happen.
porter_s

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Scotsman hauled trains on the ELR this weekend are pre-booked passengers only.
I beleive the SVR should be looking to do likewise to avoid overcrowding.
Kingston Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porter_s wrote:
All Scotsman hauled trains on the ELR this weekend are pre-booked passengers only.
I beleive the SVR should be looking to do likewise to avoid overcrowding.

They already are.

No prices confirmed yet, but ALL Scotsman hauled trains are pre-book only per single journey during the entire gala
porter_s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be interesting "policing" that on ex-Bridgnorth trains!
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porter_s wrote:

This is one of the questions we have thought about, some of the suggestions for Kidderminster are fine for events like Santas but are less manageable in our opinions for an ASG.

Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
porter_s wrote:

This is one of the questions we have thought about, some of the suggestions for Kidderminster are fine for events like Santas but are less manageable in our opinions for an ASG.

It has the potential for problems at intermediate stations too, if stopping to cross other services.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lench_S wrote:
KJEvans wrote:
porter_s wrote:

It has the potential for problems at intermediate stations too, if stopping to cross other services.

Which suggests the intention is to run non-stop but that rarely seems to work well, the 'express' train often seems to stop in the station.

mrmover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lench_S wrote:
KJEvans wrote:
porter_s wrote:

Take a leaf from Virgin, when Wrexham and Shropshire up trains stopped at Wolverhampton to set down only. Never seen so many platform staff stopping people from boarding!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: