SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacific Power: 22 to 26 September 2016 (replaced ASG)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooohh, an alteration.........

"Due to popular demand, a small number of tickets have been released for travel on our service trains (not valid on Flying Scotsman and Tornado trains) on Monday 26th September only. These additional tickets will be available from Kidderminster, Bridgnorth and Bewdley booking offices on a first come, first served basis."

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Sheila K

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are pass holders who would normally have been at the Railway now. We would have arrived yesterday (Friday), and travelled, then spent money in the Railwaymans. About now, we would be waking up, ready for breakfast on the Venturer (also on Sunday), and would have spent money at shops, stalls, Kiddy museum, bought sandwiches, coffee, Highley slice, beer on trains and in pubs, and generally supported the Railway quite well.
The passengers on FS/T will probably bring good business to the shop, cafe and pub at Kiddy, but what about the rest of the line. They will travel non-stop to Bridgnorth, where they will be discouraged from leaving the train, and then back again, missing out on so much that our Railway has to offer. Whether these visitors choose ever to return, we shall probably never know!
I expect a large number of pass holders, who the SVR may have expected to want to travel will have done what we are doing, and voted with their feet.
I have travelled on the SVR behind FS in the past, in fact I think we are on a Venturer Saturday night meal being pulled by it, and have visited the Railway on each occasion that Tornado has visited in the past. All this weekend had to promise us was no chance of parking, not being able to travel on the trains we wanted, vast crowds and no overnight running. As we are not photographers there was nothing for us!
We will be attending the November gala, but due to the time of year, and timetable, we will be very unlikely to spend nearly as much on the Railway, or local businesses, as we normally would at an ASG.
I do understand the decision made by the SVR, But hope that they have charged enough for the FS/T tickets to make up for what they may lose elsewhere if pass holders do not suddenly appear these next 2 days
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Ooohh, an alteration.........

"Due to popular demand, a small number of tickets have been released for travel on our service trains (not valid on Flying Scotsman and Tornado trains) on Monday 26th September only. These additional tickets will be available from Kidderminster, Bridgnorth and Bewdley booking offices on a first come, first served basis."
An interesting situation on extra tickets surfacing. Has an extra carriage been added to the trains, has there been some booking cancellations, has there been a mis-calculation on the number of seats available, or perhaps some other reason?

I hope the booking offices don't get mobbed in the rush.

Regards
Reg.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some further tickets for non-Flying Scotsman/Tornado trains have been released for the last day of the event as it is expected to be quieter following the weekend.

Gentleman on Nat Pres yesterday pm, posted without comment:

Quote:
Curiously though for a supposedly sold out event there was plenty of space available on the non-Scotsman trains and despite what the official line was, they WERE selling tickets at Bridgnorth for anyone who turned up.

[...]

I nearly didn't go to this event having read all the negative stuff about it on this board and elsewhere but I'm glad I did. Not the usual gala I know, but I didn't hear anyone complaining. I guess those who weren't happy just stayed away.

Bewdley Station Facebook today, posted without comment:

Quote:
Day 4 of Flying Scotsman. Platform 1 and down yard open for looking at the passing trains, also viewing of loco 2857 in platform 1 and possible footplate rides. All trains operate through platforms 2 & 3 and the footbridge is closed off for safety. All those with travel tickets should access platforms using the barrow crossing down the yard. Some tickets still available to travel on non Scotsman trains.

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed Bewdley school car park open for overflow parking, that wasn't mentioned on the website. Loads of empty seats, and compartments, on the 2 trains I saw at Bewdley earlier.

All cake half price in Bewdley buffet, so the sign outside says!

Sheila K

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people aren't travelling in large numbers, let's just hope that the photographers are all spending money up and down the line, to make up for the revenue lost. Glad to see mostly positive comments about the event, but to have not sold tickets for other trains when they could have done may result in a large loss of revenue for the Railway.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Noticed Bewdley school car park open for overflow parking, that wasn't mentioned on the website.

Au contraire...

Quote:
FREE parking is available at the High School nearby.

http://www.svr.co.uk/PacificPower_See.aspx

Quote:
Overflow parking will be available on Saturday & Sunday only at Bewdley High School.

http://www.svr.co.uk/PacificPower_GettingHere.aspx

Smile

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked for parking information last night, couldn't find it, obviously missed it or it has been added since.

Andrew Ponsford

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Sheila K. This photographer, like many others, has voted with his feet. This is the first ASG I have missed since 1993. I, like you and many others, spend a fair bit on tickets, food and drink while on the railway.

"If people aren't travelling in large numbers, let's just hope that the photographers are all spending money up and down the line, " - normally I, and many others 3 day rover purchasers, would be. Yet here I am, watching free videos on youtube instead. And the money I would have spent on the SVR is now going to pay for a 4 day rover on the WSR for the first time.

" I guess those who weren't happy just stayed away." Yes, we have. Those that are there may be happy. But there are lots of us regulars who are not very happy. November is small consolation. Next years ASG needs to be good.
Doune1965

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a few days that has been. Whatever the views on the rights or wrongs of the event it has been really nice to see so many people enjoying themselves and to work in so many different locations talking to people I would not normally talk to.

Despite us thinking some of the trains were quiet, according to an NBI this evening a four day steam gala normally brings about 7500 passengers. The six day event which has pushed paid and volunteers in their endurance is getting towards 15000.

I'm looking forward like many others to a return to normality next year (as I think is the GM from a conversation with him earlier)
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying the irony of people who make their objection to the railway organising it's most popular event ever held known by telling everyone how they refused to attend.
Hopefully the management will take your concerns on board and think twice before running another event that attracts 15000 visitors when they realise how many people it causes to stay away. Razz
hearn_p

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With permission, the NBI can be found at http://svrlive.wixsite.com/svrlive/copy-of-news-300516-1-4

Patrick

Sheila K

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to Graham, I would just like to say that this is a forum for people who care about the SVR. It is a place where people can voice their opinions.
I have always wished the Railway well with this event, even though it was not for me. I am extremely pleased that 1000 tickets were sold to non FS/T passengers each day, as well as the sell out for the 2 main engines.
The SVR has put in a great deal of effort and work across the board to make the event successful and make the money that it will have done. I hope that every one of the passengers that travelled with us for the first time will return in the future. If the SVR gets a chance to hold a similar event in the future, that will bring in such crowds they should certainly do so.
However, the people who chose not to attend on what, for me at least, is my favourite weekend of the year, looked forward to all year, will all be looking forward to next years ASG, and hoping that it will be great. We don't need massive engines, going end to end like last year, but a bit of variety and a couple of interesting visitors, like we used to get!
Hopefully we will see some that did not come last weekend in November, or at the Spring gala, or just on a normal day.
Thanks to all who have worked tirelessly to make what will hopefully be a good profit from the event, but people are entitled to their opinion. I have attended every ASG that has been held, and every Spring one, except 1, since about 1985, and I shall continue to do so. I hope others who also stayed away will be back next year, if not before.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
I'm enjoying the irony of people who make their objection to the railway organising it's most popular event ever held known by telling everyone how they refused to attend.
Hopefully the management will take your concerns on board and think twice before running another event that attracts 15000 visitors when they realise how many people it causes to stay away. Razz

Fifteen thousand visitors may be a pyrrhic victory, when this event has caused some loyal members like myself to stay away. IMHO, most of the people that visited to travel behind and see the FS are fans of the FS, NOT of the SVR.

The FS fans either travelled behind Tornado and then switched trains to travel behind the FS, or vice versa. After that, they probably went home.

Will the FS fans come to visit the SVR? Most probably not, as they are infatuated by the FS and only the FS. The FS is like a pop star or a premier league footballer to them
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you consider Peppa Pig and Santa to be pyrrhic victories as well as they are mostly attended by Peppa Pig and Santa fans and proper enthusiasts tend to stay away from them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 24 of 26

Jump to: