SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Season Finale Gala: 04 to 06 November 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tornado turning up a bit late tonight. Coming up via Old Worse and Worse

http://www.opentraintimes.com/schedule/U54690/2016-11-04
Andrew Ponsford

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems Tornado is going to reverse onto the SVR. Will it then be turned or will it be smokebox first out of Bridgnorth for the weekend?
cherry_p

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBI just issued by Nick Ralls:

With thanks to the signaling maintenance team, I am very pleased to announce that the damage to the signaling cable reported in yesterday’s NBI has now been repaired.
This will allow the SVR to resume its full Gala Working Timetable, from tomorrow morning 5th November 2016
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted 11.25

Due to a passenger being taken ill at Highley, we are currently running behind schedule.
The 10.20am and 11.03am services from Bewdley have been swapped, with the double-header due to cross the 'Crab' at Arley.
At the moment we are approximately 60 minutes late.
We apologise or the delay and any inconvenience caused.
We will endeavour to make up time best we can...

I gather it was on the 0920 from Kidderminster, which was held pending assistance from the appropriate professionals.

I also gather that at 11.29 the Crab is moving

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
zep108

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: gala saturday Reply with quote

hello
a few photos from a windswept eardington on saturday at
www.stevebottrill.zenfolio.com or https://www.flickr.com/photos/15931796@N00/
regards
sharpo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather and loss of an hour of trains didn't do the event today any favours. Must say I was impressed by the Crab on the 10-coach set, it was held at the signal approaching Highley as I filmed it from The Engine House - but fortunately I had time to leg it towards the station and filmed it pulling away from the signal and into the station. The rails were wet, but the loco performed well. After the station stop it was a slow but steady climb up the bank towards Bridgnorth, I kept filming after the train had disappeared, just for the sound, it must've been close to walking speed as it went over the top.

Certainly worth a look:-
https://youtu.be/gOOpxZUSOko

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Andrew Ponsford

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharpo. You may have lost an hour but between 1 and 6.30 I spent 4 hours stationary, either waiting for or on trains. This was on top of the 1 hr 15 min I was stationary at Highley when the lady sat opposite me fell and injured herself badly. Things like that happen but to call what happened afterwards a shambles would be an understatement. No one had a clue what to do. We just waited and shivered. Just as well this didn't happen on the FS weekend.
Danny252

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite best efforts of staff, there did seem to be problems with information about changes to services being passed on - several times I was only made aware of train cancellations when I enquired where such-and-such a train was.

If you do feel strongly, it's probably a good idea to contact the railway to ensure that the railway's management are aware.
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Ponsford wrote:
Sharpo. You may have lost an hour but between 1 and 6.30 I spent 4 hours stationary, either waiting for or on trains. This was on top of the 1 hr 15 min I was stationary at Highley when the lady sat opposite me fell and injured herself badly. Things like that happen but to call what happened afterwards a shambles would be an understatement. No one had a clue what to do. We just waited and shivered. Just as well this didn't happen on the FS weekend.
Andrew - this is in no way an official reply but just an observation from one of the other guards rostered that day. I was guarding the Limited, the dining train.

I can appreciate your frustration but it is rather harsh to state no one had a clue what to do. Having a train stationary, for good medical reasons, the timing of which is completely in the hands of the emergency services makes planning a tad difficult. Regulating decisions were made to ease the situation such as truncating the goods at Bewdley and running the auto as a shuttle to Bewdley. Unfortunately the loco off the goods still had to travel to KD to haul my train.

My train ran approx 60 minutes late and whilst an unadvertised dining train carried passengers back from Bridgnorth to help the situation
sharpo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, seems you were less fortunate than me. I travelled back from Highley on the Venturer, which was exactly 1 hour behind schedule - so did something go wrong later in the day?

My ears did pick up "lots of grumblings in the background" as I waited, but that's probably best left out of this topic.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave:
Despite the other poster's comments, presumably there are systems in place for such an incident, appointed first-aiders to make an initial assessment, and then a decision to call in the emergency services.
Someone falling in a narrow side corridor who might have a spinal injury or broken hip would make extraction a difficult procedure after careful assessment by the professionals. Not something to be rushed.
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
threelinkdave:
Despite the other poster's comments, presumably there are systems in place for such an incident, appointed first-aiders to make an initial assessment, and then a decision to call in the emergency services.
Someone falling in a narrow side corridor who might have a spinal injury or broken hip would make extraction a difficult procedure after careful assessment by the professionals. Not something to be rushed.
I would not like to comment on the specific circumstances as I was not there and would not wish to comment on an individuals medical condition.
Danny252

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Andrew, seems you were less fortunate than me. I travelled back from Highley on the Venturer, which was exactly 1 hour behind schedule - so did something go wrong later in the day?

1501 lost time on one local trip due to requiring water at Highley - it had been standing at Bewdley and Arley for around 2 hours in total - and then I am told it had brake trouble hauling the Limited, which was travelling very slowly.

With regards to the medical incident, approximately half of the hour's delay was simply waiting for the ambulance and medical staff to arrive.
Andrew Ponsford

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave wrote:
Derby4 wrote:
threelinkdave:
I would not like to comment on the specific circumstances as I was not there and would not wish to comment on an individuals medical condition.

With regard to the lady who fell, as a healthcare professional I can say proper procedures were followed. I was 10 feet away from the action. I have no problems with the way it was handled or the length of the delay.

Maybe clueless was the wrong description. However, there were a lot of SVR staff engaged in discussions on the platforms at both Kid. and Bewd. Trains were altered, held or cancelled. We were told one thing by one person, only for another to tell us something else. An 813 hauled local was held at Bewd. for 45 min. Both guards told us different things before admitting they didn't know what was happening. May be there was someone running the show but to an outsider, it did not appear so.
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When an incident happens the guard or SM will inform the Duty Officer. The DO will receive sit reps from all the stations and will make decisions based on the information gathered. This will then be disseminated to stations, usually via the bobby. The problem is that this all takes time . There are 7 boxes and if a 3 -5 minute call is made to each this could take 30 minutes or so to go once round seeking info and another 30 to disseminate. This can be quicker if the DO has an assistant. The message then has to be passed out to staff at stations. Whilst messages are passing back and fro the situation may well change and consequently the plan.

When asked a question by a passenger I only make a statement if I know the answer, I dont guess and if I dont know or am dubious of an answer I will say I dont know. A typical question is "what time is the delayed train leaving. With a single track the answer is "we cant go until the train from the other direction arrives" . Not wishing to misinform by a guess I will advise that I have no clear indication when that will be.

All in all I dont think we are any worse than NR and often much better
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: