SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EU Exit and the SVR
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divington_R

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: EU Exit and the SVR Reply with quote

Quite topical this question. Will leaving the EU negatively affect any monies that the SVR receives?

Regards
Reg.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: EU Exit and the SVR Reply with quote

Divington_R wrote:
Quite topical this question. Will leaving the EU negatively affect any monies that the SVR receives?

Regards
Reg.

I doubt it. Most of the people that visit the SVR are from the UK.
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of the SVR receiving any funding directly from the EU in the way it has from the HLF or, more recently, the DfT.
I think the railway did benefit in an indirect way when the EU funded Bewdley bypass was built, by selling the soil from the embankment between the Kidderminster and Stourport lines, which also had the benefit of creating the Stourport Triangle.
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that is likely the legal boffins will take many years to untangle our laws and economy from the of the EU I would speculate that funding for any UK projects is likely to dry up before the UK ceases contributing.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Doune1965

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The footbridge at Bridgnorth got EU funding, but can't think of other examples
Robin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doune1965 wrote:
The footbridge at Bridgnorth got EU funding, but can't think of other examples

The European Union Regional Development Fund gave a 948k grant toward the Engine House. They also gave grants of 750k and 377k towards the 2007 flood damage.
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some big lump sums.
Without getting too political, does anyone know of any existing or proposed UK fund that will be likely to make similar grants in the future?
Danny252

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the same thing, but the UK science funding bodies have not been sounding too optimistic about being able to match EU funding. I would imagine that other funding bodies have similar feelings, unless they happen to be in political favour in the near future.
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but any grants awarded to the UK from the EU (for any reason) are considerably less than the total money we contribute to the EU. So we are just getting "some" of the money back. In other words it isn't "free" money, it was "ours" in the first place.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
WaltTFB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me, I'd lock this thread now...

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
Graham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...any grants awarded to the UK from the EU (for any reason) are considerably less than the total money we contribute to the EU...

Isn't that feeling normal for any bureaucracy though? I have my suspicions that the value of the services I receive from local and national government doesn't add up to the cost of all the taxes they take off me every week, even though, as someone who earns less than 40k per year, I am a net tax benificiary.
Anyway, the question is, with the EU Regional Development Fund gone, and the HLF focusing on Heritage projects, is there going to be a UK Regional Development Fund that might give money to the SVR based on business, not heritage reasons?

Quote:
I'd lock this thread now...

On the other hand, you could try contributing something useful.

I find the whole brexit thing amusing.
Nobody knew what was going to happen, then, when it did, they were all telling everyone else how it was obvious and they knew that was going to happen all along, while still having no idea what's going to happen in the future.
It's just like Flying Scotsman's visit all over again.
Graham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this official announcement from Cornwall.

"investment we receive" and "relatively weak economy" sound like euphemisms for "We can't run our county profitably, so we need someone, anyone, to prop us up financially".
If a whole county is worried about financial support, it's not looking good for a local business with 70 full time employees.
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaltTFB wrote:
If it was me, I'd lock this thread now...
Hi WaltFB, I'm not sure I agree providing people are sensible in the discussion.

Personnally, and as Sharpo indicated, I think there will be alternative funding sources made avaliable in the future. To do the analysis we may have to wait another 43 years to elapse though?

Regards
Reg.
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
. . . .
"investment we receive" and "relatively weak economy" sound like euphemisms for "We can't run our county profitably, so we need someone, anyone, to prop us up financially". . . . . .
I would ask you to read the entire article again. Many remote areas rely on subsidies of one shape or another from central sources i.e., they are unprofitable. Cornwall is asking for the status-quo to continue.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Graham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cornwall is asking for the status-quo to continue

Cornwall is asking for more money.

Calling it a "development fund" implies an investment to develop an area in the hope that it will at some time become profitable.
Seeking assurances of receiving 60 million a year indefinitely is, as you say, a subsidy, which is not the same thing at all.

The similarity is that if Cornwall's industry and employment doesn't generate enough tax income to cover expenditure, they will always be reliant on outside support.
If the SVR doesn't generate enough income through ticket sales to cover expenditure, we will also always be reliant on outside support.

The EU grants to the SVR don't appear to have been made with the intention of creating a profitable business, they are grants, not investments.
Will there be a UK based system to replace the EU one that will give money away with no thought of return that the SVR might benefit from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: