SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The most intense steam railway service in the world

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: The most intense steam railway service in the world Reply with quote

Someone I was talking to last night used this phrase to describe the Santa Specials. It's not something I had thought about before, but he was probably right.
Thirteen round trips at half hourly intervals for six Saturdays in a row.
Is it 600 - 650 passengers per train? That would make it around 8000 steam hauled passengers per day.
Is there any other railway in the world that can match that?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The most intense steam railway service in the world Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
Is it 600 - 650 passengers per train?

AIUI 350 (bar one train), 4,475 a day, 3,775 on Christmas Eve.

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I don't know where I got the figure of 600 from. I think it might be half remembered, probably wrongly, from the maximum train loads for Pacific Power.

Anyway, is there any other railway that can claim to carry 4000+ passengers on 13 steam hauled 16 mile round trips in a day?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
Thanks, I don't know where I got the figure of 600 from. I think it might be half remembered, probably wrongly, from the maximum train loads for Pacific Power.

Anyway, is there any other railway that can claim to carry 4000+ passengers on 13 steam hauled 16 mile round trips in a day?

On Pacific Power IIRC one day 400 turned up on coaches and only just got on.

Pete Cherry can comment better on other UK heritage railways' offerings

To be picky Wiki tells me Kidder to Arley is 7 miles but it is a very intensive service certainly. I'm not aware of anything that intense carrying that number of passengers over that distance.

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
pbinnersley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Harzer Schmalspurbahnen in Germany operated 11 trains a day between Drei Annen Hohne and Brocken (19km, 12 miles) daily in the Summer on a roughly 45 minute frequency. The 8 coach trains were full and standing when I saw them (~400-500 people).

The depot at Wernigerode regularly puts out six steam engines a day.

Peter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: