SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Festive Season Services 2016
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherry_p

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passenger numbers sufficiently high on the first 2 days of Festive Season that decision was made yesterday to add another 2 departures --
Extra trains - 11am, 3pm from Kidder, 1pm, 5pm from B'north

See updated version of http://www.svr.co.uk/pdf/Special%20Events/SVR%20Festive%20Season%20Timetable%202016.pdf for details.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen on email threads the good weather forecast also had a bearing. All credit to those that made the decision and volunteered to make it happen.

Patrick

P.S. Incidentally, the revised arrangements were circulated internally yesterday afternoon and on the website, FB, Twitter, SVROnline and SVRLive in no time at all through a combination of staff and volunteers - Pete Cherry, me, Lewis Maddox and Bill Griffiths to my knowledge. Others such as Ian Hollis and Kieren Evans spread it rapidly to other forums. Let's hope for a good turnout.

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Derby4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news: Opens up the possibility of changing trains during the round trip and still arriving back at Kidderminster in time for a getaway home in the daylight. Looks somewhat milder for Saturday as well.
Looking foreward to the day out!

(Two morning steam departures in quick succession from KDR is something we have discussed in relation to some of the other timetables.)

I wonder if Graham will have the EMF coach at BY open on Saturday?
oliver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday sees 5 steam loco's (2857, 7812, 43106, 7714 and 4566) in use plus the DMU. That would be a gala at most (any?) other preserved railway!
Divington_R

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday was cold and foggy but the trains I saw seemed busy. Running some 15 - 20 mins late by mid afternoon.
Derby4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now confirmed to me that the EMF sales coach at Bewdley will be open on Saturday.

30 minute stop-over between the first two morning northbound steam services, book list at the ready.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7714 unfortuntely won't be repaired in time for the weekend.

"Locomotives in use week ending January 6th" item updated accordingly, and website news item now says:

Goodbye to Small Prairie 4566 .
Join us to bid farewell to No. 4566 on January 1st and 2nd!

We had planned that newly-overhauled Pannier Tank 7714 would double-head with 4566 on these 2 days, but due to an unfortunate mechanical problem, loco 7714 has failed and will play no further part in the festive service.

Having entered service way back in 2006, No. 4566 will run for the last time before overhaul on January 1st and 2nd 2017 after 10 years of reliable service.

The Small Prairie, which has appeared in GWR Green and BR Black over the last 10 years, will haul the 11.00 and 3.00 trains from Kidderminster, and the 1.03 and 5.00 from Bridgnorth on both days.

We are really sorry for the disappointment that 7714's absence will cause to many of you, but we hope you can join us for No. 4566's swansong hauling Great Western coaches as we say goodbye to a 'really useful engine'...
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please can you amend http://www.svr.co.uk/SEItem.aspx?a=66 too?

Thanks

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
cherry_p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Please can you amend http://www.svr.co.uk/SEItem.aspx?a=66 too?
Patrick
only just seen your message! I updated this one at the time as well as the main item, and 1 other.
Derby4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy day today. The 10-30 out of KDR was packed, despite there being the option of travelling 30 minutes later on the second northbound steam departure, which was much less busy.

Services generally ran late today. The stock for the 10-30 was only reversed into the platform at about 10-30, and despite speedy boarding, the service was then held for several minutes "waiting for the guard".

The 11-00 ex-KDR was held first at Bewdley waiting for the arrival of the first southbound service which was late, and then further delayed waiting several minutes at Highley for an unspecified reason.

Overall, a good number of passengers about, and if this continues for the next two days should provide a good end to the season.

Lovely atmosphere at Kidderminster, particularly with the decorations, carols, and the many genuine gas lights.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the delays were because the booked signalman for Highley was sick and unavailable, and it took a little time to get a replacement there.
oliver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem is the number of temporary speed restrictions. The half mile 15mph restriction by waterworks and 10mph restriction just north of Arley make it almost impossible to make up any sort of time whatsoever if things do start to run late. This begs the question; why was a timetable written specifically for the festive service with normal section times? These 2 TSR's combined must add at least 5 minutes to the AY-BH timings which added up throughout the day does have an affect.
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driver of 2857 on the 11-00 ex-KDR did his best to make up time towards the end of the journey. We went through Eardington and up the bank on the relaid section as though there was no gradient at all, I guess we did 25 mph all the way up.

(Certain 4-6-2's take note.... Wink )
oliver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The driver of 2857 on the 11-00 ex-KDR did his best to make up time towards the end of the journey. We went through Eardington and up the bank on the relaid section as though there was no gradient at all, I guess we did 25 mph all the way up.

I know, I was the fireman! And yes, the best way to make up lost time is through fast acceleration which, as you say, is not as easy with something like Sir Keith...!
michaelh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
Quote:

I know, I was the fireman! And yes, the best way to make up lost time is through fast acceleration which, as you say, is not as easy with something like Sir Keith...!

Oliver - a day on 2857 - what a wonderful way to start 2017 Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: