SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Festive Season Services 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver: Is the half-mile on waterworks straight the winter relay project?

I recall seeing a stretch of track with replacement rail laid out alongside, but dont recall exactly where it was.

Just going back to the timetable for a moment, it was strange that with two northbound steam services within thirty minutes, that the 10-30 was still overcrowded, and the 11-00 relatively lightly loaded.
Sort of disproves the argument for that extra service within the main season timetable to spread the load out of KDR.
I wonder if the KDR platform staff where actively suggesting to passengers to use the second train? I don't recall any tannoy announcements as such.
Not casting any aspersions, I just don't know the answer.
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt many people who arrived in time for the 10:30 train would want to intentionally hang around until 11:00 on a cold day. I would imagine the only people on the 11:00 were those who turned up in that half hour window.
I think the main argument for extra trains has always been for an earlier start.
My personal experience of visiting all sorts of visitor attractions is that if you get there when they open, you can get almost straight in, but by mid morning, the queue is a lot longer. Perhaps a 9:45 train would help balance the loading.

One thing it does prove is that extra trains can be put on and publicised at short notice. Maybe something to try again if we have a busy summer and maybe even try a 9:45 DMU as a cheap and easy experiment on a couple of Saturdays.
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness Graham the 11-00 was in the platform being heated, so it was a choice between standing--for a number of families-- on the 10-30, or having a seat on the 11-00.

But, as you say, the argument for the main service season is for an earlier train, even if this was the DMU.

On reflection I wish I had travelled at least one leg of the journey on the DMU, because the steam heated stock had misted up windows. Still, the DMU will be there for another day.

Enjoyable day out though, now into hibernation until the Spring Gala! Wink
michaelh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:

I recall seeing a stretch of track with replacement rail laid out alongside, but dont recall exactly where it was.

Just going back to the timetable for a moment, it was strange that with two northbound steam services within thirty minutes, that the 10-30 was still overcrowded, and the 11-00 relatively lightly loaded.
Sort of disproves the argument for that extra service within the main season timetable to spread the load out of KDR.
I wonder if the KDR platform staff where actively suggesting to passengers to use the second train? I don't recall any tannoy announcements as such.
Not casting any aspersions, I just don't know the answer.

Both the 1030 and the 1100 were packed today. The 1100 was pretty full even before the 1030 had departed. Some were clearly there for 4566, but most appeared to be family groups.
Danny252

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
One thing it does prove is that extra trains can be put on and publicised at short notice.

It does seem that the SVR has more fully embraced the internet for advertising changes and updates over the last few months, and is becoming quite effective, at least on Facebook (I don't see them on Twitter or any other sites they might use).

Quote:
Maybe something to try again if we have a busy summer and maybe even try a 9:45 DMU as a cheap and easy experiment on a couple of Saturdays.

With the new 2017 timetables where timings are identical, it should be even easier to run the 9.30 ex KR as an extra when Table A or C is being used, or simply upgrade the timetable to a busier one at short notice - hopefully one of the reasons behind the change!
oliver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, a full relay will be taking place, starting from tomorrow I believe. There will also be work to stabilise the landslip just North of Arley although what exactly this will involve I do not know. Set L was bought to BH tonight and this is apparently in case this work over runs and a service can run from BH - HY.
oliver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oliver - a day on 2857 - what a wonderful way to start 2017

Indeed! Was a bit chilly though, as was today on 7812!!
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the extra train was timed to cause as little disruption to the advertised services as possible. Maybe a better solution would have been to completely rip up the timetable and put a C timetable on which would have spread the trains out a bit more but then everything from the FE and dining trains would have to been retimed. Graham if you look at this year's timetable the C from 2016 is now the B and that starts at 09:30 from Kidderminster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: