SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Communications Committee
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note the accommodation information on SVR Live only covers Bridgnorth.
I know there are sleeper carriages at Arley, Bewdley and Kidderminster as well. Are these reserved for volunteers at these specific locations or with specific departments? Is Bridgnorrth the only one for general use?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
I think some of the recent Bridgnorth news first appeared in the Shropshire Star, but on the other hand, someone at Bridgnorth is doing an excellent job of updating the progress via Facebook.

I think this is a misconception. You can check the Shropshire Star website articles on SVR in the media, and look at the dates of the updates on the share and Bridgnorth development pages. I'm not aware of anything recent re BH appearing first in the press.

tigger, mainly, updates the Bridgnorth FB page (many thanks) and I judiciously add a few to the SVRLive page to supplement those from Chris Bond. I hope this works for everyone.

Graham wrote:
I note the accommodation information on SVR Live only covers Bridgnorth.
I know there are sleeper carriages at Arley, Bewdley and Kidderminster as well. Are these reserved for volunteers at these specific locations or with specific departments? Is Bridgnorrth the only one for general use?

I think the reason is that BH arrangements changed when Mary retired, and the note got included as a news article (NBI-H-240) and stayed. A quick look on SVROnline isn't terribly revealing either. Do you want to raise it and decide where this info is best recorded/displayed? I'm happy to put more on SVRLive if that's what's desired. I'll await advices.

Regards

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volunteer accomodation to the best of my knowledge.

There are two opportunities at Kidder. The GWR sleeper is looked after by the SM and assistant SM. The MK3 sleeper in the Diesel Depot is looked after by a committee from the diesel groups.

At Bewdley bookings are made via the SM James

Arley I have no info - ask the SM or platform staff
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be the instance I was thinking of. All dated 23rd November 2016
Article on Shropshire Live
Shared on Facebook by Bridgnorth Station.
Referenced on SVR Live
This is no criticism of your work, Patrick. You can only publish what you are told or find on the web. I just thought it odd at the time that a statement from the GM on the number of shares sold should appear on the web site aimed at members, shareholders and enthusiasts via an outside news web site. If you hadn't found it, would it have appeared on SVR Live at all?

Martin's experience above shows that volunteer accommodation is not being promoted as well as it could be. A search for "accommodation" on svr-vlo.org.uk shows only one hit, within the Staff Handbook, which is itself only mentioned on the Downloads page. So yes, I think putting the information anywhere that potential new volunteers are likely to look would be a good idea.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, it was the Shropshire Star bit which threw me. I'd checked back to 3/12.

The email trail shows it was that this that prompted me I had fallen off the mailing list for PR. I was in Kidder that day and Clare was going to readd me. I checked again this week and had a confirmation from Severn Communications so, everything crossed, that shouldn't reoccur.

Shropshire Live seems to be a conduit for the SVR Press Releases, it usually goes PR>Shropshire Live>Press.

Thanks for the kind comments, I think you are right in many of the things raised by this thread.

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Graham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusing on the matter of volunteer recruitment and retention for now, the replies I have had, both in public via social media and in private, can be summarised as;

Volunteered for duty at the engine house, attended induction course, no further contact from VLO.

Saw request for volunteers at Kidderminster booking office. Contacted VLO. Was told there were no vacancies.

Finished apprenticeship with SVR. Indifference from the SVR towards further involvement.

Failed SVR medical exam, despite having passed similar exams in armed forces. Refused role on SVR with no appeal allowed. Now works in similar role on Network Rail, having passed their medical exam.

Contacted VLO. No response. (Two cases)

Poor support from, and frustration with, management.

Contacted SVR. Attitude of person spoken to was "absolutely shocking". (No clue as to who this was or which department.)

Unfairness of progression/rostering of footplate crews.

I realise these are all anecdotes, and some of them are very short on detail, but the impression some people are getting is that the SVR treats volunteers like employees who need the job to earn money, rather than the SVR needing volunteers to work for free.
I am also aware that the SVR currently has about 100 working members for each reply I have received. 99% satisfied members sounds good, but then, 1% dissatisfied members or lost potential members reported within a couple of days doesn't sound so good.
Graham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer a couple of questions;

2857 is being partly repainted. The cylinders will be bored out and sleeved back to standard size. The work will be done at Bridgnorth with the cylinders in situ.

The head of education is based at Kidderminster, not Highley, so I'm afraid I can't give any advice on who to contact directly there. Can anyone else help?

Accommodation at Bewdley can be booked via the station master, in person or by phone, letter, text or email. james.pearson@svrlive.com
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:

Martin's experience above shows that volunteer accommodation is not being promoted as well as it could be. A search for "accommodation" on svr-vlo.org.uk shows only one hit, within the Staff Handbook, which is itself only mentioned on the Downloads page. So yes, I think putting the information anywhere that potential new volunteers are likely to look would be a good idea.

Duncan - please can the staffing committee let me have the appropriate text (and photos?) for each location and I will add

As a prompt price, contact details, key pick ups etc would all be relevant

Thank you

Patrick

hearn_p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a PR today so am back up and running

Patrick

hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
I now see there are rumours about GBRf and DRS locos for the 2017 Diesel Gala; if true, I expect the SVR will tell us as soon as we all know about it!

I don't know who knew what - I didn't - but GBRf locos were announced today.

An official reply on FB says "We are working on both of those [a 56 and a 37] currently". DRS or not I don't know.

Also the share issue NBI was put onto SVRLive and FB earlier today. I've not seen that released anywhere else first so I hope all is working smoothly

Patrick

GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are soments I would like to make but don't feel it appropriate to mention them in nthis forum.
Danny252

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Also the share issue NBI was put onto SVRLive and FB earlier today. I've not seen that released anywhere else first so I hope all is working smoothly

Regarding FB, I've been keeping an eye on the order updates have been appearing since your previous comments. It does seem that posts from the SVR Official feed are very slow to actually show up compared to other sources of information, even when those are also on FB - I'm often seeing the official announcements >12 hours after they were posted.

I wonder if it's simply a result of the amount of posts the SVR is putting up. Today alone, I think there were at least four posts related to the diesel gala (two begging for "likes" before the announcement since seem to have been removed), a share offer update, and a Charitable Trust donation drive. There was some upset across FB a while back because it was found to be delaying or hiding posts from commercial users or high volume users, in the hopes that those users would pay to have their posts shown with higher priority; do you know if this is still something that happens?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this.

Danny252 wrote:
Regarding FB, I've been keeping an eye on the order updates have been appearing since your previous comments. It does seem that posts from the SVR Official feed are very slow to actually show up compared to other sources of information, even when those are also on FB - I'm often seeing the official announcements >12 hours after they were posted.

I wonder if it's simply a result of the amount of posts the SVR is putting up. Today alone, I think there were at least four posts related to the diesel gala (two begging for "likes" before the announcement since seem to have been removed), a share offer update, and a Charitable Trust donation drive. There was some upset across FB a while back because it was found to be delaying or hiding posts from commercial users or high volume users, in the hopes that those users would pay to have their posts shown with higher priority; do you know if this is still something that happens?

All news to me I'm afraid, and beyond my meagre technical capabilities. I can see posts when I make them and am able to share them to groups. I see likes and comments almost immediately so some are getting them straight away. The share issue one had a comment within an hour (now hidden).

Danny252 wrote:
I wonder if it's simply a result of the amount of posts the SVR is putting up. Today alone, I think there were at least four posts related to the diesel gala (two begging for "likes" before the announcement since seem to have been removed), a share offer update, and a Charitable Trust donation drive.

Seen, no comment. It is one for the Marketing and Communications Manager.

Patrick

hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The What's On Readers' Awards hit FB last night and an NBI (and so SVRLive) today. I'm not aware of any Press nor seen a PR.

Patrick

jackson_p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
The What's On Readers' Awards hit FB last night and an NBI (and so SVRLive) today. I'm not aware of any Press nor seen a PR.

Patrick
Patrick, does this response relate more to the 'Reader Awards' topic, http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3586, rather than the Comms Committee?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: