SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SVR website - Part 12: 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hearn_p



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 5672
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: SVR website - Part 12: 2017 Reply with quote

Eat and drink, the link from the Plan your visit to http://www.svr.co.uk/Links.aspx brings up a Server error

Also http://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=767 courtsey

Patrick

Web admin note: Discussion about the ‘SVR website’ (2008 onwards) has now been grouped into annual segments.
Hyperlinking enables continuity of the historic storyline. PJ January 2017.

Previous storyline on
http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3857
_________________
See http://svrlive.com for news of what's happening around the railway

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cherry_p



Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1852
Location: Solihull

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Eat and drink, the link from the Plan your visit to http://www.svr.co.uk/Links.aspx brings up a Server error

A strange one this -- it used to work ok; I'll need to discuss this with staff at Kidder.
hearn_p wrote:
Also http://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=767 courtsey ....Patrick
now corrected.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
threelinkdave



Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 649
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Table B has an error on the return run of BS1. I spotted it when checking my first turn on 18 Feb.

The 11.35 ex Bridgnorth arrives Bewdley at 12.42. It does not get to Kidderminster until 15.53. I would suggest 12.53 is more likely as the DMU is out again at 1.15. Checked the preview paper table and it is 12.53 so it is only wrong in the online version
_________________
Dave Scott
Bulleid and Gresley used auto couplers
Guard & dogsbody
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cherry_p



Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1852
Location: Solihull

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave wrote:
Table B has an error on the return run of BS1. I spotted it when checking my first turn on 18 Feb.

The 11.35 ex Bridgnorth arrives Bewdley at 12.42. It does not get to Kidderminster until 15.53. I would suggest 12.53 is more likely as the DMU is out again at 1.15. Checked the preview paper table and it is 12.53 so it is only wrong in the online version
It's also correctly shown as 12.53 in the online pdf -- http://www.svr.co.uk/2017CalendarTimetable.pdf
I'll try to get the version showing 15.53 corrected.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cherry_p



Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1852
Location: Solihull

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
I'll try to get the version showing 15.53 corrected.
This has now been done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Robin



Joined: 07 Apr 2014
Posts: 290
Location: Stourbridge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comment applies to both the web site and the printed timetable. Timetable A states "This service will normally be steam-hauled, although a diesel engine will be used on the following dates:..."

By my count, out of 121 timetable A days, 49 are steam-hauled and 72 are diesel-hauled. How does that meet the definition of 'normally steam-hauled'?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Graham



Joined: 21 May 2011
Posts: 892
Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.svr.co.uk/GiftShop.aspx
The Bachman link takes you to a page of DVDs, not that it really matters, as none of it's in stock anyway.
_________________
Graham Phillips
Acting deputy assistant junior under minion, Bewdley Wagon Department.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
d431hood



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Posts: 189
Location: Cambs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin wrote:
This comment applies to both the web site and the printed timetable. Timetable A states "This service will normally be steam-hauled, although a diesel engine will be used on the following dates:..."

By my count, out of 121 timetable A days, 49 are steam-hauled and 72 are diesel-hauled. How does that meet the definition of 'normally steam-hauled'?

Hummmm... Suggest the wording is a bit misleading. There are only three days a year that are exclusively diesel hauled (the diesel gala). On 49 days the service is provided exclusively by steam engines, and the others the service is provided predominantly by steam engines with one diesel engine also in service.
_________________
Joe Burr
SVR Member & Shareholder
C50A Occasional Working Volunteer
Fifty Fund Chairman, Sales Officer & Deputy Under Webmaster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cherry_p



Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1852
Location: Solihull

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d431hood wrote:
Robin wrote:
This comment applies to both the web site and the printed timetable. Timetable A states "This service will normally be steam-hauled, although a diesel engine will be used on the following dates:..."

By my count, out of 121 timetable A days, 49 are steam-hauled and 72 are diesel-hauled. How does that meet the definition of 'normally steam-hauled'?

Hummmm... Suggest the wording is a bit misleading. There are only three days a year that are exclusively diesel hauled (the diesel gala). On 49 days the service is provided exclusively by steam engines, and the others the service is provided predominantly by steam engines with one diesel engine also in service.
The comment "This service will normally be steam-hauled, although a diesel engine will be used on the following dates:..." refers solely to the one train, not to the service as a whole on any given date. I would agree that for this one train the "normally steam-hauled" appears to be wrong - I'll see if I can get the wording modified on the website; shame this wasn't pointed out earlier - printed timetable finally went to press on Monday last week, so too late to change it there; wish I'd noticed it earlier too!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Robin



Joined: 07 Apr 2014
Posts: 290
Location: Stourbridge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pete. Unfortunately it wasn't in the preview edition so difficult to comment much earlier!

Would it be possible to change the printable PDF downloaded from the timetable page? (http://www.svr.co.uk/CalendarTimetable.aspx)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sharpo



Joined: 19 Feb 2006
Posts: 3186
Location: Dark Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some help checking my timetable app (thanks Ian) and on the green timetable the pdf document shows 5.09 and 5.10 for the trains at Hampton Loade, but SVR site timetable shows both at 5.10.

Also there is a white dot on the SVR site timetable to indicate limited accomodation on the diner, but not on pdf document.

Is the pdf now finalised or likely to change? If it does change, it will only take a few minutes to amend my app.
_________________
Sharpo (happily avoiding facebook & twitter)

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cherry_p



Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1852
Location: Solihull

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
I've had some help checking my timetable app (thanks Ian) and on the green timetable the pdf document shows 5.09 and 5.10 for the trains at Hampton Loade, but SVR site timetable shows both at 5.10.

Also there is a white dot on the SVR site timetable to indicate limited accomodation on the diner, but not on pdf document.

Is the pdf now finalised or likely to change? If it does change, it will only take a few minutes to amend my app.
There does seem to be a discrepancy between different versions of table C as to whether the southbound departure from H/L is 5.10 or 5.09. The draft working timetable for C shows 5.10, so I think this is what will end up in the times we actually work to. The least of the problems we've got with some aspects of it tho!!
The pdf is taken from the public printed timetable doc, but I've now edited it just for the pdf to show the modified wording for the diesel on table A.
Don't know why the dot is missing on the table C diner -- the comment is there tho, so shouldn't be too big a problem. If I'd known about the missing dot on the pdf, I could have changed it last week, but too late now really!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sharpo



Joined: 19 Feb 2006
Posts: 3186
Location: Dark Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
sharpo wrote:
I've had some help checking my timetable app (thanks Ian) and on the green timetable the pdf document shows 5.09 and 5.10 for the trains at Hampton Loade, but SVR site timetable shows both at 5.10.

Also there is a white dot on the SVR site timetable to indicate limited accomodation on the diner, but not on pdf document.

Is the pdf now finalised or likely to change? If it does change, it will only take a few minutes to amend my app.
There does seem to be a discrepancy between different versions of table C as to whether the southbound departure from H/L is 5.10 or 5.09. The draft working timetable for C shows 5.10, so I think this is what will end up in the times we actually work to. The least of the problems we've got with some aspects of it tho!!
The pdf is taken from the public printed timetable doc, but I've now edited it just for the pdf to show the modified wording for the diesel on table A.
Don't know why the dot is missing on the table C diner -- the comment is there tho, so shouldn't be too big a problem. If I'd known about the missing dot on the pdf, I could have changed it last week, but too late now really!

Thanks, got the latest yellow timetable from the pdf and have changed it in the version of the app I am working on at home. One thing I've noticed is the "l" in Arley and Highley, and elsewhere in the document, is double thickness. Also tried downloading the pdf in another browser with the same result - very odd!.
_________________
Sharpo (happily avoiding facebook & twitter)

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cherry_p



Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1852
Location: Solihull

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Thanks, got the latest yellow timetable from the pdf and have changed it in the version of the app I am working on at home. One thing I've noticed is the "l" in Arley and Highley, and elsewhere in the document, is double thickness. Also tried downloading the pdf in another browser with the same result - very odd!.
I don't know how the thick "l" appeared -- it wasn't in the original pdf of the full timetable I was sent. The pdf of the timetable is just pages 8 and 9 of the full timetable, but with thick "l". But text not selectable or editable in this file, so can't be changed as long as this is what we're using. When I updated the text on the right, I left all the rest of the file as a series of images, which can't be edited.
With hindsight, it would probably have been better if I'd gone back to the original full file, but really it's too late now!
I think we'll have to live with the thick "l", but I'll see if I can find out where it came from next time I'm in the office at Kidder!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sharpo



Joined: 19 Feb 2006
Posts: 3186
Location: Dark Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
sharpo wrote:
Thanks, got the latest yellow timetable from the pdf and have changed it in the version of the app I am working on at home. One thing I've noticed is the "l" in Arley and Highley, and elsewhere in the document, is double thickness. Also tried downloading the pdf in another browser with the same result - very odd!.
I don't know how the thick "l" appeared -- it wasn't in the original pdf of the full timetable I was sent. The pdf of the timetable is just pages 8 and 9 of the full timetable, but with thick "l". But text not selectable or editable in this file, so can't be changed as long as this is what we're using. When I updated the text on the right, I left all the rest of the file as a series of images, which can't be edited.
With hindsight, it would probably have been better if I'd gone back to the original full file, but really it's too late now!
I think we'll have to live with the thick "l", but I'll see if I can find out where it came from next time I'm in the office at Kidder!

I've managed to cut the text from the original yellow pdf timetable and paste the text from the latest yellow pdf timetable, so on the app the letter "l" will look normal.

Clever, or what......
_________________
Sharpo (happily avoiding facebook & twitter)

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group