SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Diesel turns 2017?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: More Diesel turns 2017? Reply with quote

Web admin note: Split from the 'Sir Keith Park' thread http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2419 as the discussion has drifted.
PJ August 2017.

hearn_p wrote:
threelinkdave wrote:
Alternativly a dispensation to haul heavier loads could be given. When we had a loco failure 7714 was given a dispensation for 7 for'238t 7714 is of course in A1 condition and handled the weight with ease. We shall see.

A further alternative would be a SSG visitor staying for a bit afterwards and/or an ASG visitor coming early.

Patrick

Or maybe even have more diesel days, advertising a B it in timetable as maybe two steam locomotives and 2 diesels
cherry_p

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWR5764PT wrote:
hearn_p wrote:
threelinkdave wrote:
Alternativly a dispensation to haul heavier loads could be given. When we had a loco failure 7714 was given a dispensation for 7 for'238t 7714 is of course in A1 condition and handled the weight with ease. We shall see.

A further alternative would be a SSG visitor staying for a bit afterwards and/or an ASG visitor coming early.

Patrick

Or maybe even have more diesel days, advertising a B it in timetable as maybe two steam locomotives and 2 diesels
absolutely not! A number of people are getting fed up with the increasing number of Diesel turns as it is. One on a Saturday B is fine, but not more than that. Our main 'bread and butter' passenger isn't interested in Diesels, and some have been known to turn away when they find a train is Diesel-hauled. A fair number of people who are railway enthusiasts DO like Diesels, but they aren't the main source of income for the railway!!
mrmover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
GWR5764PT wrote:
hearn_p wrote:
threelinkdave wrote:

Patrick

absolutely not! A number of people are getting fed up with the increasing number of Diesel turns as it is. One on a Saturday B is fine, but not more than that. Our main 'bread and butter' passenger isn't interested in Diesels, and some have been known to turn away when they find a train is Diesel-hauled. A fair number of people who are railway enthusiasts DO like Diesels, but they aren't the main source of income for the railway!!

Well said, Pete! Yes, there are many diesel enthusiasts out there, and they have a part to pay in the Railway. However, as you say, our bread and butter comes from the general public, who want and expect a steam locomotive at the front of their train. We should ignore that at our peril.
Old Bean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of people come to the SVR to ride behind a steam train. 2 Diesel diagrams is a crazy idea.
JHope

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find the discussion around diesel turns an interesting one and I suppose here isn't the best place to discuss it to a full extent. It's important that we maintain large amounts of steam, because as you say, it is the large attraction for many people. That said, as demographics begin to change diesels do seem to be becoming more accepted, as is the case with many more 'modern' items of railway equipment. The appeal is sometimes just the ability to open a window and sit on a locomotive hauled train feeling the fresh air (for me anyway!). I certainly often find myself thinking that certain locos in the diesel fleet don't manage to get out as much in a year on trains as they perhaps could (should?). That said, it's always going to remain controversial!
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sign says it all.

mrmover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHope wrote:
I always find the discussion around diesel turns an interesting one and I suppose here isn't the best place to discuss it to a full extent. It's important that we maintain large amounts of steam, because as you say, it is the large attraction for many people. That said, as demographics begin to change diesels do seem to be becoming more accepted, as is the case with many more 'modern' items of railway equipment. The appeal is sometimes just the ability to open a window and sit on a locomotive hauled train feeling the fresh air (for me anyway!). I certainly often find myself thinking that certain locos in the diesel fleet don't manage to get out as much in a year on trains as they perhaps could (should?). That said, it's always going to remain controversial!

There are also certain steam engines that also don't manage to get out as often as they should. I think of 7325, 45110, 48773, 47383, 600 (you get the drift). To be fair, I expect that most passengers, when sat in their seats, could not tell whether the train was being hauled by a steam or diesel locomotive, except maybe the steam passing by as they look out of the window. But it is the perception that they go away with that will (hopefully) bring them back again, and tell their friends. And reality should match that perception - we are, first and foremost, a STEAM railway. Just as the roadsigns say.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
JHope wrote:

There are also certain steam engines that also don't manage to get out as often as they should. I think of 7325, 45110, 48773, 47383, 600 (you get the drift). To be fair, I expect that most passengers, when sat in their seats, could not tell whether the train was being hauled by a steam or diesel locomotive, except maybe the steam passing by as they look out of the window. But it is the perception that they go away with that will (hopefully) bring them back again, and tell their friends. And reality should match that perception - we are, first and foremost, a STEAM railway. Just as the roadsigns say.

It’s true that the SVR is a steam railway. However, a next run for a diesel loco wouldn’t be that drastic a change. People come to the SVR to also see the beautiful scenery along the severn valley and the country towns and villages. Essentially people come to the SVR to get away from the humdrum of life.
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
JHope wrote:

Very much agree. Recently we suffered a loco failure and the thunderbirded. When a group got out at Arley one member of the group on seeing the said in a loud voice "its a diesel - do we get a refund?"
Inspector Biffo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not this old chestnut again..... I'm really surprised at the remarks above especially as one or two of you know us senior diesel types at Kidderminster.
I'm pretty certain that the current input into daily SVR operations by the diesel groups is deemed more than adequate. We provide traction as required by the current timetable and shunting loco's seven days a week all done by volunteers we don't have the luxury of paid staff to back us up. We are extremely lucky to have a first class facility in the diesel depot and will do our best to provide a loco for other requirements such as a loco failure, Pway, empty stock and other movements when asked and have no masterplan to dieselise the SVR.
Danny252

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspector Biffo wrote:
I'm really surprised at the remarks above especially as one or two of you know us senior diesel types at Kidderminster.

Every remark above is either in support of diesel services (three posts), or instead refers to the "steam railway" expectations of the railway's largest group of customers; I can't see either of those being surprising!
Standard Tank

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well SKP is a hired in engine on whatever commercial contract, what is stopping the SVR from hiring in an alternative, let's wait and see.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe2027 wrote:
mrmover wrote:
JHope wrote:

It’s true that the SVR is a steam railway. However, another run for a diesel loco wouldn’t be that drastic a change. People come to the SVR to also see the beautiful scenery along the severn valley and the country towns and villages. Essentially people come to the SVR to get away from the humdrum of life.
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspector Biffo wrote:
Not this old chestnut again..... I'm really surprised at the remarks above especially as one or two of you know us senior diesel types at Kidderminster.
I'm pretty certain that the current input into daily SVR operations by the diesel groups is deemed more than adequate. We provide traction as required by the current timetable and shunting loco's seven days a week all done by volunteers we don't have the luxury of paid staff to back us up. We are extremely lucky to have a first class facility in the diesel depot and will do our best to provide a loco for other requirements such as a loco failure, Pway, empty stock and other movements when asked and have no masterplan to dieselise the SVR.
My interest is operations so personally I dont give a hoot what is on the front so long as it can keep time. I am personally very appreciative of the efforts of the diesel group,especially their ability to provide thunderbird assistance at short notice.

Unfortunately the reaction of the public is not allways so apreciative. My report above is not fiction but an actual event. I was simply reflecting what happened. We ignore the public at our peril, even if they do make misguided statements
Old Bean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't having a go at diesels or those who maintain and love them. If anything I am more of a diesel fan myself but sadly the general public will never be as enthused by diesel traction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: