SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Diesel turns 2017?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GWR5764PT



Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 635
Location: Kidderminster Station

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: More Diesel turns 2017? Reply with quote

Web admin note: Split from the 'Sir Keith Park' thread http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2419 as the discussion has drifted.
PJ August 2017.

hearn_p wrote:
threelinkdave wrote:
Alternativly a dispensation to haul heavier loads could be given. When we had a loco failure 7714 was given a dispensation for 7 for'238t 7714 is of course in A1 condition and handled the weight with ease. We shall see.


A further alternative would be a SSG visitor staying for a bit afterwards and/or an ASG visitor coming early.

Patrick


Or maybe even have more diesel days, advertising a B it in timetable as maybe two steam locomotives and 2 diesels
_________________
Tim Easton, an SVR volunteer (Kidderminster Station) of 10 years service! And now an on train buffet steward for 2 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
cherry_p



Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1876
Location: Solihull

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWR5764PT wrote:
hearn_p wrote:
threelinkdave wrote:
Alternativly a dispensation to haul heavier loads could be given. When we had a loco failure 7714 was given a dispensation for 7 for'238t 7714 is of course in A1 condition and handled the weight with ease. We shall see.


A further alternative would be a SSG visitor staying for a bit afterwards and/or an ASG visitor coming early.

Patrick


Or maybe even have more diesel days, advertising a B it in timetable as maybe two steam locomotives and 2 diesels
absolutely not! A number of people are getting fed up with the increasing number of Diesel turns as it is. One on a Saturday B is fine, but not more than that. Our main 'bread and butter' passenger isn't interested in Diesels, and some have been known to turn away when they find a train is Diesel-hauled. A fair number of people who are railway enthusiasts DO like Diesels, but they aren't the main source of income for the railway!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mrmover



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 870
Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
GWR5764PT wrote:
hearn_p wrote:
threelinkdave wrote:
Alternativly a dispensation to haul heavier loads could be given. When we had a loco failure 7714 was given a dispensation for 7 for'238t 7714 is of course in A1 condition and handled the weight with ease. We shall see.


A further alternative would be a SSG visitor staying for a bit afterwards and/or an ASG visitor coming early.

Patrick


Or maybe even have more diesel days, advertising a B it in timetable as maybe two steam locomotives and 2 diesels
absolutely not! A number of people are getting fed up with the increasing number of Diesel turns as it is. One on a Saturday B is fine, but not more than that. Our main 'bread and butter' passenger isn't interested in Diesels, and some have been known to turn away when they find a train is Diesel-hauled. A fair number of people who are railway enthusiasts DO like Diesels, but they aren't the main source of income for the railway!!


Well said, Pete! Yes, there are many diesel enthusiasts out there, and they have a part to pay in the Railway. However, as you say, our bread and butter comes from the general public, who want and expect a steam locomotive at the front of their train. We should ignore that at our peril.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old Bean



Joined: 08 Aug 2011
Posts: 40
Location: in a field watching butterflies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of people come to the SVR to ride behind a steam train. 2 Diesel diagrams is a crazy idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JHope



Joined: 04 Jan 2016
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find the discussion around diesel turns an interesting one and I suppose here isn't the best place to discuss it to a full extent. It's important that we maintain large amounts of steam, because as you say, it is the large attraction for many people. That said, as demographics begin to change diesels do seem to be becoming more accepted, as is the case with many more 'modern' items of railway equipment. The appeal is sometimes just the ability to open a window and sit on a locomotive hauled train feeling the fresh air (for me anyway!). I certainly often find myself thinking that certain locos in the diesel fleet don't manage to get out as much in a year on trains as they perhaps could (should?). That said, it's always going to remain controversial!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Graham



Joined: 21 May 2011
Posts: 933
Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sign says it all.


_________________
Graham Phillips
Acting deputy assistant junior under minion, Bewdley Wagon Department.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mrmover



Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 870
Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHope wrote:
I always find the discussion around diesel turns an interesting one and I suppose here isn't the best place to discuss it to a full extent. It's important that we maintain large amounts of steam, because as you say, it is the large attraction for many people. That said, as demographics begin to change diesels do seem to be becoming more accepted, as is the case with many more 'modern' items of railway equipment. The appeal is sometimes just the ability to open a window and sit on a locomotive hauled train feeling the fresh air (for me anyway!). I certainly often find myself thinking that certain locos in the diesel fleet don't manage to get out as much in a year on trains as they perhaps could (should?). That said, it's always going to remain controversial!


There are also certain steam engines that also don't manage to get out as often as they should. I think of 7325, 45110, 48773, 47383, 600 (you get the drift). To be fair, I expect that most passengers, when sat in their seats, could not tell whether the train was being hauled by a steam or diesel locomotive, except maybe the steam passing by as they look out of the window. But it is the perception that they go away with that will (hopefully) bring them back again, and tell their friends. And reality should match that perception - we are, first and foremost, a STEAM railway. Just as the roadsigns say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe2027



Joined: 22 Jun 2007
Posts: 691
Location: Wednesfield

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
JHope wrote:
I always find the discussion around diesel turns an interesting one and I suppose here isn't the best place to discuss it to a full extent. It's important that we maintain large amounts of steam, because as you say, it is the large attraction for many people. That said, as demographics begin to change diesels do seem to be becoming more accepted, as is the case with many more 'modern' items of railway equipment. The appeal is sometimes just the ability to open a window and sit on a locomotive hauled train feeling the fresh air (for me anyway!). I certainly often find myself thinking that certain locos in the diesel fleet don't manage to get out as much in a year on trains as they perhaps could (should?). That said, it's always going to remain controversial!


There are also certain steam engines that also don't manage to get out as often as they should. I think of 7325, 45110, 48773, 47383, 600 (you get the drift). To be fair, I expect that most passengers, when sat in their seats, could not tell whether the train was being hauled by a steam or diesel locomotive, except maybe the steam passing by as they look out of the window. But it is the perception that they go away with that will (hopefully) bring them back again, and tell their friends. And reality should match that perception - we are, first and foremost, a STEAM railway. Just as the roadsigns say.


It’s true that the SVR is a steam railway. However, a next run for a diesel loco wouldn’t be that drastic a change. People come to the SVR to also see the beautiful scenery along the severn valley and the country towns and villages. Essentially people come to the SVR to get away from the humdrum of life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
threelinkdave



Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 659
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
JHope wrote:
I always find the discussion around diesel turns an interesting one and I suppose here isn't the best place to discuss it to a full extent. It's important that we maintain large amounts of steam, because as you say, it is the large attraction for many people. That said, as demographics begin to change diesels do seem to be becoming more accepted, as is the case with many more 'modern' items of railway equipment. The appeal is sometimes just the ability to open a window and sit on a locomotive hauled train feeling the fresh air (for me anyway!). I certainly often find myself thinking that certain locos in the diesel fleet don't manage to get out as much in a year on trains as they perhaps could (should?). That said, it's always going to remain controversial!


There are also certain steam engines that also don't manage to get out as often as they should. I think of 7325, 45110, 48773, 47383, 600 (you get the drift). To be fair, I expect that most passengers, when sat in their seats, could not tell whether the train was being hauled by a steam or diesel locomotive, except maybe the steam passing by as they look out of the window. But it is the perception that they go away with that will (hopefully) bring them back again, and tell their friends. And reality should match that perception - we are, first and foremost, a STEAM railway. Just as the roadsigns say.
Very much agree. Recently we suffered a loco failure and the thunderbirded. When a group got out at Arley one member of the group on seeing the said in a loud voice "its a diesel - do we get a refund?"
_________________
Dave Scott
Bulleid and Gresley used auto couplers
Guard & dogsbody
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Inspector Biffo



Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Posts: 275
Location: Kiddy Yard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not this old chestnut again..... I'm really surprised at the remarks above especially as one or two of you know us senior diesel types at Kidderminster.
I'm pretty certain that the current input into daily SVR operations by the diesel groups is deemed more than adequate. We provide traction as required by the current timetable and shunting loco's seven days a week all done by volunteers we don't have the luxury of paid staff to back us up. We are extremely lucky to have a first class facility in the diesel depot and will do our best to provide a loco for other requirements such as a loco failure, Pway, empty stock and other movements when asked and have no masterplan to dieselise the SVR.
_________________
Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danny252



Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 1171

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspector Biffo wrote:
I'm really surprised at the remarks above especially as one or two of you know us senior diesel types at Kidderminster.


Every remark above is either in support of diesel services (three posts), or instead refers to the "steam railway" expectations of the railway's largest group of customers; I can't see either of those being surprising!
_________________
Daniel Evans
Tea drinker and brass polisher
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Standard Tank



Joined: 20 Sep 2009
Posts: 182
Location: Kidderminster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well SKP is a hired in engine on whatever commercial contract, what is stopping the SVR from hiring in an alternative, let's wait and see.
_________________
Bob Randle
http://www.stourbridgelineusergroup.info/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/407285492711907/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe2027



Joined: 22 Jun 2007
Posts: 691
Location: Wednesfield

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe2027 wrote:
mrmover wrote:
JHope wrote:
I always find the discussion around diesel turns an interesting one and I suppose here isn't the best place to discuss it to a full extent. It's important that we maintain large amounts of steam, because as you say, it is the large attraction for many people. That said, as demographics begin to change diesels do seem to be becoming more accepted, as is the case with many more 'modern' items of railway equipment. The appeal is sometimes just the ability to open a window and sit on a locomotive hauled train feeling the fresh air (for me anyway!). I certainly often find myself thinking that certain locos in the diesel fleet don't manage to get out as much in a year on trains as they perhaps could (should?). That said, it's always going to remain controversial!


There are also certain steam engines that also don't manage to get out as often as they should. I think of 7325, 45110, 48773, 47383, 600 (you get the drift). To be fair, I expect that most passengers, when sat in their seats, could not tell whether the train was being hauled by a steam or diesel locomotive, except maybe the steam passing by as they look out of the window. But it is the perception that they go away with that will (hopefully) bring them back again, and tell their friends. And reality should match that perception - we are, first and foremost, a STEAM railway. Just as the roadsigns say.


It’s true that the SVR is a steam railway. However, another run for a diesel loco wouldn’t be that drastic a change. People come to the SVR to also see the beautiful scenery along the severn valley and the country towns and villages. Essentially people come to the SVR to get away from the humdrum of life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
threelinkdave



Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 659
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspector Biffo wrote:
Not this old chestnut again..... I'm really surprised at the remarks above especially as one or two of you know us senior diesel types at Kidderminster.
I'm pretty certain that the current input into daily SVR operations by the diesel groups is deemed more than adequate. We provide traction as required by the current timetable and shunting loco's seven days a week all done by volunteers we don't have the luxury of paid staff to back us up. We are extremely lucky to have a first class facility in the diesel depot and will do our best to provide a loco for other requirements such as a loco failure, Pway, empty stock and other movements when asked and have no masterplan to dieselise the SVR.
My interest is operations so personally I dont give a hoot what is on the front so long as it can keep time. I am personally very appreciative of the efforts of the diesel group,especially their ability to provide thunderbird assistance at short notice.

Unfortunately the reaction of the public is not allways so apreciative. My report above is not fiction but an actual event. I was simply reflecting what happened. We ignore the public at our peril, even if they do make misguided statements
_________________
Dave Scott
Bulleid and Gresley used auto couplers
Guard & dogsbody
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old Bean



Joined: 08 Aug 2011
Posts: 40
Location: in a field watching butterflies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't having a go at diesels or those who maintain and love them. If anything I am more of a diesel fan myself but sadly the general public will never be as enthused by diesel traction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group