SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vandalism to SVR coaching stock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackson_p

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Vandalism to SVR coaching stock Reply with quote

It is sad to report that ITV on-line news is reporting vandalisim to SVR coaching stock during the Christmas period.
http://www.itv.com/news/central/2017-12-26/vandals-attack-historic-train-carriages-over-christmas/

Pictures show graffiti on one LNER Teak and one GW coach.

Last edited by jackson_p on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
long_m

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that we had invested in a very large carriage shed to prevent just this type of thing. Perhaps this is a wake up call!

Martin Long
hearn_p

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a four road shed with five sets in regular timetabled use. In addition there are other carriages in operational use including the 'Limited' diner set, 'Venturer' carriages, the 'Toplights', Observation saloons, Autotrailers and Travelling Post Offices and GUVs such as those used for Santa operation. More carriages than space.

During running season it's not unusual to have sets stabled out of use in Bridgnorth station or Hollybush Road CS and one plus saloons etc. in or around Kidder.

Patrick
sharpo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some idiot is probably showing on his facebook page what he has done - so get looking...... I can't log in so count me out.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
mrmover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who is of the opinion that anything by Banksy is 'Art'. We have had many discussions - or perhaps a bit stronger than that , where I maintain that it is vandalism, particularly where priceless artefacts are damaged or destroyed.

This vandalism only shows that stupid low life emulate the so called arty set, and have no concept about values, moral or financial. If the perpetrators are caught, I hope that the criminal justice system makes sure that they fully repay the cost of putting their damage right. Sadly, however, if feel that they will be let off with a slap on the wrist because they come from a broken home, or are otherwise disadvantaged. I came from a broken home - my father died when I was 11 and my mother looked after both sets of aged grand parents and my 3 siblings and myself. Did any of us cause wanton destruction? No.

My heart goes out to those whose previous hard work has been so terribly damaged. It must be soul destroying for them. All I can say is that your work is appreciated by many, many people, enthusiasts and non enthusiasts alike. Please do not feel that your efforts are in vain - for there are probably tens of thousands people out there who respect your work, and hopefully no one, Banksy included, who respect this vandalism. The recent share issue gives two and a half million reasons why the work of everyone on the railway, paid and volunteer alike should continue.

And if the mysterious Banksy gets to hear of this, maybe he can send some of his largesse to put right what some stupid idiot has done in his name.

William Burden - no longer hiding behind a pseudonym
Derby4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must have been compelling operational reasons for leaving the line's most vulnerable coaching rake outside over Christmas.

Rob
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was saddening to see this on Boxing Day Morning.
Divington_R

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWR5764PT wrote:
It was saddening to see this on Boxing Day Morning.
Is there any indication on how long it will take to remove the paint damage and the likely cost?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It will take three to four weeks to restore, but it's not serious damage. A number of volunteers have been contacted and they have offered to come in and help remove the spray paint. Work can then begin on restoring the intricate sign lettering.

Hopefully this will be done before the trains go back into service during the school half-term in February.

The Railway closes for a few weeks after Christmas to allow time for essential maintenance work to take place, so at least services have not been affected, but it will take volunteers away from work which they would otherwise have been doing on the rest of the fleet of over 60 coaches. Unfortunately among this delayed work will be progress on adapting a carriage to a wheelchair accessible vehicle.

SVR Facebook 29.12.17

Quote:
As a member of carriage and wagon, I can confidently say there is a plan in place to remove the graffiti. The GWR coach will probably have a repaint on that one sie but the GN coach will take more work to bring back as the graffiti has covered some of the lettering which is gold leaf.

Nat Pres
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC1 local news this evening showed the teak coach being worked on following the graffiti attack.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld

Last edited by sharpo on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danny252

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also an article in the Shropshire Star, although don't look too closely at the spelling and grammar!

https://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/attractions/2018/01/04/dozens-of-workers-start-svr-clean-up/
jackson_p

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extract from SVRLive [published 04 January 2018 23:19 hrs].
http://www.svrlive.com/lner-coaches

As you have probably heard, we were filmed in the carriage works today. Although, they chopped a lot out, quite a lot remained. 2 photos are loaded (onto SVRLive). The first one shows us starting to remove the graffiti, the second one at the end of the day.
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
Also an article in the Shropshire Star, although don't look too closely at the spelling and grammar!

https://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/attractions/2018/01/04/dozens-of-workers-start-svr-clean-up/
Dear Daniel, thank you for pointing out the newspaper article. The Star seems to pick out the points, that is, 10,000 damage, the entire carriage overhaul programme will be put back a year, the CCTV did not pick up anything.

I hopefully await further news that the culprits will have been identified and put in front of the law courts.
jackson_p

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refer to the SVR Charitable Trust web site.
http://www.svrtrust.org.uk/

10,000 appeal launched after vandals attack two SVR carriages.
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charitable Trust appeal featured on BBC Midlands Today this lunchtime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: