SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shed space - could stock be kept more under cover, and how?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny252

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that the crime situation at Bewdley is possibly worse than Kidderminster in recent years. Trespass by "youths" in the Bewdley Triangle and beyond is a regular occurrence during daylight hours, along with more damaging crimes such as the arson attack mentioned above.

Last edited by Danny252 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lench_S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
It should be noted that the crime situation at Bewdley is possibly worse than Kidderminster in recent years. Trespass by "youths" in the Bewdley Triangle and beyond is a regular occurrence during daylight hours.

Indeed.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see freom query corner on the wiki that in 2015 boldford commented "Because its on a slight curve each of the four roads of the carriage shed varies slight in length. It capacity is generally considered to be 56 bogies coaches."

Patrick
Divington_R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I am a little behind on this debate. Going back a few entries on carriage storage and looking purely at Bridgnorth. I feel this needs further exploration.

From the strategic point of view could there be a real operational benefit establishing a satellite carriage shed somewhere towards the Bridgnorth end of the line? The precise capacity of the shed would need to be determined, but let us plum for, at this very early stage, one or perhaps two sets of 8 coaches.

Having somewhere at the north end of the route to store carriages could well take some of the pressure away from Kidderminster.

Where the shed would be located would be another big challenge but can an expert answer my question; is there an operational benefit having a carriage shed near to Bridgnorth?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an expert but yes, I think so. Presently one set on rotation is stabled at Bridgnorth to work the first service of the day, but on a four train service three start from the Kidder end. Having two sets at BH would offer the possibility of a more balanced start/finish time to services at both ends of the line, and save some light engine movements to/from BH.

Were one to be able to magic up accessible land and a willing seller - say at Knowlesands - you'd still have to pay for it, plan and build a 2x8 coach shed and signal it.

Patrick
hunter_i

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Not an expert but yes, I think so. Presently one set on rotation is stabled at Bridgnorth to work the first service of the day, but on a four train service three start from the Kidder end. Having two sets at BH would offer the possibility of a more balanced start/finish time to services at both ends of the line, and save some light engine movements to/from BH.

Were one to be able to magic up accessible land and a willing seller - say at Knowlesands - you'd still have to pay for it, plan and build a 2x8 coach shed and signal it.

Patrick

Eardington Holt siding seems very long. Only 2 miles from Bridgnorth.
mrmover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
hearn_p wrote:

Patrick

And in use by the Civil Engineers
hunter_i

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
hunter_i wrote:
hearn_p wrote:

Patrick

The whole nine yards?
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
mrmover wrote:
hunter_i wrote:
hearn_p wrote:

Patrick

When I passed it on Friday was more or less full with pw wagons

The whole nine yards?

hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a chilly April day. Your two rakes of coaches are in the shed at Eardington and your first train leaves at 10.20. You also have a steam loco to despatch to the south end to pick up the second service from KR. HL box is switched out with a long section to HY.

How do you fit in the LE move south to clear the section, and get two locos to fetch carriages from Eardington, return them and get them heated for the first services?

Services finish around 5 and there is a northbound LE working to the MPD. You also need to get two sets to Eardington, run round on the bank, reversed into the shed, split the Venturer carriages that are not running the next day, and get the loco home (x2).

There are ways round some of this, I'm suggesting that for every action [secure shed, two rakes at BH] there is an equal and opposite reaction [operational issues, extended days, extra signalling shifts].

Patrick
hunter_i

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still on the subject of the long Eardington siding and bearing in mind the recent postings about increased trespassing/vandalism at the Bewdley triangle - just wondering whether what is left of the rolling stock there would be safer at Earington? Thinking particularly of the Southern Queen Mary guards van which is now virtually only a chassis?
Danny252

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
mrmover wrote:
hunter_i wrote:

The whole nine yards?

At times, yes. Various stock is stored at the North end, and the other part is routinely used for loading ballast into wagons. It's not unusual for the only free space to be a gap for the foot crossing.

hearn_p wrote:
How do you fit in the LE move south to clear the section, and get two locos to fetch carriages from Eardington, return them and get them heated for the first services?

I see you've been paying attention to the ins and outs of token working, Patrick!

Another issue with "out of the way" locations is that, whilst they're a long way from vandals, they're also a long way from additional assistance or manpower if and when an issue does occur.
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curently the Eardington ground frame can only be released with the long section staff
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
It's a chilly April day. Your two rakes of coaches are in the shed at Eardington and your first train leaves at 10.20. You also have a steam loco to despatch to the south end to pick up the second service from KR. HL box is switched out with a long section to HY.

Services finish around 5 and there is a northbound LE working to the MPD. You also need to get two sets to Eardington, run round on the bank, reversed into the shed, split the Venturer carriages that are not running the next day, and get the loco home (x2).

There are ways round some of this, I'm suggesting that for every action [secure shed, two rakes at BH] there is an equal and opposite reaction [operational issues, extended days, extra signalling shifts].

Patrick
Dear Patrick, I agree there will be plenty of issues to resolve should a satelite shed near Bridgnorth come to fruition. But how much damage are we doing by leaving the irreplacable carriages open to the elements and vandals? A building to protect them will cost a handsome sum of money but spread over 100 years it may be cheaper to do this as opposed watch the carriages deteriorate over that same time period?

If finding space for a shed is a big problem then perhaps it may be easier to look at storing just 1 set of carriages near Bridgnorth?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree Reg.

If the SVR built sheds for everything it would quickly become over developed IMO. It's a shame - though it couldn't have avoided it - that the SVR didn't have oodles of cash to use Knowlesands and Sugar Beet sites in earlier years. I still wonder what might be possible at both sites.

I suspect there will be incremental rather than quick improvements.

The wagon shed as proposed is eminently sensible

The diesel guys had an idea for a lean to extension to the diesel shed (and a purpose-built workshop, amenity block and overnight accommodation).

At BY there is a plan for extending one shed, Iwonder if more might be possible there?

From this thread suggested ideas might be to look at things (shunters, locos) that might be displaced from the existing shed and lean to extensions to CS1 and CS6, with the carriage cleaner possibly relocated

The idea of Burlish tunnel for stored items is an interesting one.

At BH a two-road 4/5 bogie shed at Hollybush Road CS might be possible (I'm surprised no-one suggested rebridging to BH tunnel!)

Thoughts?

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: