SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re the Future of the SVR Carriage Fleet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunter_i

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the request for ideas for carriage shed locations possibly:

The Bewdley triangle (this was originally levelled for a carriage shed but perhaps security is the problem).

The whole existing restoration area at Bewdley. While a triangular shape, it is quite a large area, and the existing sheds could be replaced at the same time and the area rationalised.

The former Kinlet sidings area. Does the railway still own that land?

The former Alveley sidings area.

Next to the Engine Shed. Expensive foundations probably required, but presumably much consolidation of the ground has/is already being undertaken.

The siding at Earlington Halt (assuming the railway owns the land between the existing siding and the road and additional sidings can be added).

Cover the Hollybush Road sidings.

Purchase additional land. Although I have read in previous magazines there are no level areas adjacent to the railway, to accommodate 12 carriages only requires some 25 ,000 square feet, and in 32 miles there should be a suitable small are of 200 feet or so.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Kidder sugar works Reply with quote

Hi all

I half remember that the Kidder Sugar Works had shunters, so presumably was rail connected. Some years ago it was due to shut, did it?

If so, can anyone enlighten me on what the land became, and/or whether it might be suitable for SVR use?

Thanks

PH

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
bob22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
Regarding the request for ideas for carriage shed locations possibly:

The Bewdley triangle (this was originally levelled for a carriage shed but perhaps security is the problem).

The whole existing restoration area at Bewdley. While a triangular shape, it is quite a large area, and the existing sheds could be replaced at the same time and the area rationalised.

The former Kinlet sidings area. Does the railway still own that land?

The former Alveley sidings area.

Next to the Engine Shed. Expensive foundations probably required, but presumably much consolidation of the ground has/is already being undertaken.

The siding at Earlington Halt (assuming the railway owns the land between the existing siding and the road and additional sidings can be added).

Cover the Hollybush Road sidings.

Purchase additional land. Although I have read in previous magazines there are no level areas adjacent to the railway, to accommodate 12 carriages only requires some 25 ,000 square feet, and in 32 miles there should be a suitable small are of 200 feet or so.

ill tell u the best place is Bridgnorth tunnel it could be converted into a carriage shed
hassell_a

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Kidder sugar works Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Hi all

I half remember that the Kidder Sugar Works had shunters, so presumably was rail connected. Some years ago it was due to shut, did it?

If so, can anyone enlighten me on what the land became, and/or whether it might be suitable for SVR use?

Thanks

PH

It was rail connected and is now shut. The land there is definitely in bandit country - not where we'd be wanting to store anything there really!

Adrian.
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my last post on this thread I haven't seen one suggestion that cuts the mustard for a carriage shed location to serve our northern terminus. The suggestions either fail to make the grade geographicly or because there is no space at the suggested location.
And I really doubt we would get PP to put a shed over Hollybush Road siding?

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
LMS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kidder sugar works Reply with quote

hassell_a wrote:
The land there is definitely in bandit country - not where we'd be wanting to store anything there really!

Is this part of the reason why Foley Park Halt has never been restored? (I understand it is nearby)
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Kidder sugar works Reply with quote

LMS wrote:
Is this part of the reason why Foley Park Halt has never been restored? (I understand it is nearby)
I believe it hasn't been restored because nobody in thier right mind would want to go there.

But enough frivolity. Where are we going to accomodate our rolling stock collection?

hunter_i

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another off the cuff idea for the location of a carriage shed. What about the reatively large unused area in the South East corner of the Kidderminster car park. This could be linked to the unused part of the Kidderminster museum. The new (eventual) footbridge would also make more of that area available.

Or is the park park to much of a money earner?
boldford

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
What about the reatively large unused area in the South East corner of the Kidderminster car park.
Shocked Location; location; location. That location wouldn't exactly be very convenient for the first set of a morning off Bridgnorth.
hunter_i wrote:
Or is the park park to much of a money earner?
LOL. Not sure about the park park; but the car park may well be a nice little earner. Laughing

Plato

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
Another off the cuff idea for the location of a carriage shed. What about the reatively large unused area in the South East corner of the Kidderminster car park.

I accept that you depart Kidderminster in a southerly direction to go to Bridgnorth, but the carriage fleet needs a shed at the north end of the line not north of the present carnage shed.

You do seem to have lost the plot this time, Rolling Eyes but at least you are giving this subject some degree of consideration with all your suggestions.
stanworth_i

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we need (and this is a bit rich coming from me....) is a bit of realism. We don't actually need a carriage shed at the North end of the line if carriage rake rotation is applied to minimise the consecutive number of nights stock is outside. Instead of looking at really expensive ultimate solutions for BN why not improve the whole fleet through rotation and keep the special stock in their own cosseted environment?
boldford

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanworth_i wrote:
. . . . keep the special stock in their own cosseted environment?
Why do you differenciate between item of rolling stock? I have stated my view before a BR Mk1 is just as "special" and as much part of the development history of coaching stock as 2426, 7690 or 7511. Indeed one could argue that the high density vehicles are more useful and thus should enjoy an even greater amount of TLC.
Ideally all need to be stored in the most favourable conditions that we can provide.

stanworth_i

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - believe it or not - and perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. My thought was to provide a smaller facility where the Obbos, the Gresley Kitchen cat and such can be housed, not for the fact that they are any more worthy than others - they aren't - but in the case of some of them theya re the only ones around.

Mark 1s are essential to nearly all preserved railways, and are not a somewhat limited resource, and they definately deserve protection, as anyone who has tried to repair Mark 2s for example will testify (they are a nightmare), but by taking the less heavily used stock out of the Kidder shed and allowing rotation you benefit all the stock - or am I just being a muppet>
hunter_i

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Stanworthy has explained the concept of special carriage storage brilliantly and moving to the question of fundraising, I note the railway has committed to spending a substanial sum each year on viaduct repairs.

While undercover storage is nowhere near as essential, but as noted previously vehicles without undercover storage have no long term future.

A rolling fundraising exercise would therefore seem to be the best way forward, using preferably the Rolling Stock Trust, to take advantage of it's charitable status.

Such fundraising is assisted by progressive goals and there are about 6 categories of vehicle where storage of about 6 vehicles would cover most requirements. The aim of "6 a year" does have a certain ring to it.

The 6 categories are:

Six vintage carriages.

Six diesels (maybe not that popular).

Six to eight operational locomotives (the Bridgnorth shed roof could be extended forward).

The equivalent of 6 carriage lengths of storage for wooden body goods stock.

The DERM (close enough to 6 vehicles - maybe under a canopy over the Rock siding).

The new PW mess van, crane and sundry unrestored vehicles.

Just my (final) six pence worth.
Socrates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rather surprised there has been no suggestion to acquire the various commercial premises along Station Lane to create a northern carriage shed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: