SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE 82045 LOCOMOTIVE TRUST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoovers-rock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. I'll put in my view. although it probably doesnt matter much. I have to say. I would much rather LOVE to see a loco thats slowly rusting to the ground repaired. Believe me. Theres some 8f somewhere id love to see running. But on th other hand. the fact is... locos cant run forever. because eventually nothing is going to be the same loco. people go bankrupt and people move on. but the long and short of it is that if a group goes up the swanny then so does the loco. And this means more and more locos get scrapped. This doesnt seem a problem for most steam locos as they seem to get looked after (but it is a problem for diesels but thats another story) but in 30-40years time. when people of my age group are working the s.v.r and other preserved railways. What is going to be the key feature of the railways? keeping the trains moving. And if these trains are slowly getting into worse and worse repair them as they fail more and more often. I think that this project (although imensley expencive) should be made BIGGER. A tender engine would be nice. Infact it would be amazing. and i am all for it. I think that (as others have said) the locomotive you have chosen to re-build isnt really of the best choice (in my humble opinion) But i wish the project the best of luck. I know it seems that to most people now what this project is will be not of importance. but it could change the way we look at preserved railways FOREVER. and i wish the project the best of luck!
terry-moore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with Tony. The funding of a new loco is the economics of the madhouse. With the inevitable costs over-run it is probably going to cost nearer 2m to complete.

That would fund overhauls for Hinton Manor, Hagley Hall, 80079, 1501,43106, 75078 and 48773. I think a reality check is called for.
not-commissioned!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personnally agree with the previous 2 posts and think that overhauling one or more of our current locos would be a better use of the cash.

But if this is what an independant group wish to do then i say good luck to them.

Can't see the appeal of another standard tank myself. Its not different enough to really stand out as a project. but then i cant tell the difference between an A1 and A2 so what do i know!!!
Housey_D444

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the above posts. The money could be so much better spent. There are many locomotives that could be a lot healthier with the help of say 2 Million! A nice class 27 that could do with a lick of new life along with old favourites along the line get 80079 back in traffic along with the Hall.
If you want something more rewarding look at 4150! All things be it diesel or steam rewarding projects that would gain much more than creating another loco which once complete 10 years down the line will probably have the same fate as all the others and have a long overhaul waiting time.

If you feel really generous 25k would help get my little slug working again Very Happy
LMS2968

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point here seems to be that, if the money wasn't spent on 82045 (or another new build) it could be spent on another existing project. This doesn't work; people spend their money on the project that interests them. If there is no such project they don't transfer it and spend it somewhere else, they simply keep it. With all due respect, there is no way I'm going to donate money to paint, or do anything else to, a Class 27. Sorry, it's just not my thing. But I don't begrudge the people who do own it and ask for money to do a particular job. I don't say the money could have been better used to restore 2968 or whatever; if it hadn't gone to the 27, it wouldn't have gone anywhere so there'd be no point.

This debate takes me back 35 years. There was controversy then about locos being bought out of Barry: we've got enough; it's a waste of money; the money would be better spent on such or such a project. There were calls at this time that Dai Woodham should get on with cutting up what was left to prevent any further purchases. As I was heavily involved in the preservation of 2968, still then in Barry, it was an opinion I hardly appreciated. And I have to ask, had these opinions and suggestions bought fruit all those years ago, and most of the Barry locos had been cut up, where would the preserved railways be now?

In years to come, the new builds will be seen as essential to the preserved lines, much as the then Barry hulks are today. The only thing I will say is that the classes chosen should be suitable for use on the preserved lines, and not chosen because they are big, green and have nameplates. Some of the suggested classes, eg. P2; Baby Scot; Garratt; Lickey Banker; Leader; Turbomotive, tend to denigrate the whole concept of new build.
sharpo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMS2968 wrote:
The point here seems to be that, if the money wasn't spent on 82045 (or another new build) it could be spent on another existing project.

I'm with LMS2968 on this.

There is no "annual budget" for the amount of money available for the whole of the heritage railway movement to spend on projects. If the interest is there, people will find the money. Give up smoking, drink less (just as a couple of examples) over a year it could be a considerable sum.

People do all sorts of things, swim the channel, climb mountains etc. It could be said that is pointless (not by me though) We are humans, we have dreams & ambitions.

There have probably been hundreds of projects which have seemed impossible in the days of preservation. Some may have failed, but think of the successes!

So, 82045 team, don't be put off by negative comments - I think it's a sensible project.

Sharpo
TonyW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to taking photos of 82045 when it is completed...
sharpo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyW wrote:
I look forward to taking photos of 82045 when it is completed...

Agreed!!

Sharpo
bob22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i hope you the best of luck and i am backing you all the way to the finish
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMS2968 wrote:
Some of the suggested classes, eg. P2; Baby Scot; Garratt; Lickey Banker; Leader; Turbomotive, tend to denigrate the whole concept of new build.
And one also wonders how much work they would get. At least a BR Std Class 3 tank is usable on virtually every heritage line.
This project will be getting my practical backing.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
lms8f48773

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: THE 82045 LOCOMOTIVE FUND Reply with quote

Thank you LMS2968.sharpo.
TonyW

The 82045 locomotive fund is now going forword now. as you now it will cost a lot of money. the fund as now spent approximately 10.000 on the frame plates. we will start on the six new driving wheels? we have got one driving wheel and . we may do six cast from the old driving wheel which we have got? we got co-operation from the svr. and we start on six axleboxes for the driving wheels. Be for we do this the next phase subject to a large injection of finance we hope it will be sooner than later will invole construction of all the frame stretchers, smokbox saddle, buffer beams, horn guides and horn stays. i how there a lot People that say it wont work but i can and tell you it will work. we got a lot of people out there that have given us a lot of help. and money. by the way TONY IS A Engineering so he nows what hes going. Most of the SVR steam and diesel locomotives have there own groups so they have there own setups and the 82045 is a inderpendont group from the svr

Last edited by lms8f48773 on Tue May 01, 2007 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
lms8f48773

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: THE 82045 LOCOMOTIVE FUND Reply with quote

The 82045 Locomotive Fund

As you now the fund got two main frame plates for the locomotive. Corus Plate Profiling Centre in the West Midlands have provided the steel plates cut to shape from the BR drawing and the plates are receiving some machining work at J.A.Y. Engineering ( Cradley ) Ltd. In the West Midlands. These frame plates will shortly move to the Severn Valley Railway where initially they will not be available for public viewing. However plans are afoot to move them in due course to an area where they may be seen by the public. We have spent approximately 10,000 on this phase of the construction of 82045. Thanks are due to the members who responded to our appeal before the end of 2006 for the finance for this activity and to Corus, J.A.Y. Engineering, and the Severn Valley Railway for their help and co-operation. The wheelset was donated to the fund by the City of Stoke on Trent Council we had to pay for transport to the svr. Up to now just Roger Pridham who quoted 300,000 for the boiler and firebox though this was two years ago so we must anticipate that it will be more now. We will also be contacting Israel Newton and may even try Meiningen . there may be more news soon.

PAUL Wilkes

Last edited by lms8f48773 on Tue May 01, 2007 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With these last two posts you have demonstrated more than admirably the credibility with which your group/fund is obviously blessed.
sharpo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyW wrote:
With these last two posts you have demonstrated more than admirably the credibility with which your group/fund is obviously blessed.

It's engineering skills that are important when building a loco.

Sharpo
LMS2968

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyW wrote:

I teach engineering to young people, many of whom have difficulty, for one reason or another, with grammar and / or spelling. It does not prevent them becoming good and sometimes excellent engineers. Engineering is maths rather than language based.

This comment though reveals more about you than I really care to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 2 of 30

Jump to: