SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR 0-6-0PT 7714
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I can't recall anybody at the time saying that it was the wrong thing to acquire it for spares. It's all very well saying now that it was the wrong decision, but we were all [I think] happy at the time that it was the right one!
bradleyman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
and I can't recall anybody at the time saying that it was the wrong thing to acquire it for spares. It's all very well saying now that it was the wrong decision, but we were all [I think] happy at the time that it was the right one!

Its long gone now but in conclusion there was a lot of dissent when it was learned that large parts of it had been summarily cut up without justification on sanction of those we were PAYING to (mis)manage the railway at the time!

Had all the parts been carefully retained they would now be available to use OR the unrestored loco could now have been sold on at a sum which would now comfortably fund the manufacture of the necessary patterns & castings for a pannier cylinder block. 3612 was by far the best loco of this type in terms of basic condition which then remained at Woodhams from 4612,3612,9629,9682
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
Had all the parts been carefully retained they would now be available to use OR the unrestored loco could now have been sold on at a sum which would now comfortably fund the manufacture of the necessary patterns & castings for a pannier cylinder block.
As I recall, the main reason for its purpose was for the boiler, but I certainly agree that this should have been done.
J-Green

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It is also very easy to apply a modern mentality onto a decision made when a very different mentality was in place.

I don't know the ins and outs of this particular case - I wasn't born - but I would always advocate care in condemning a decision in the past.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be remembered during the 1970’s there was the constant threat of Woodhams cutting up the remaining locomotives and it was never thought all locomotives would be saved so the purchase of 3612 for the SVR and 4612 for KWVR as spares was seen as a prudent move by both railways to keep their respective pannier tanks running. 4612 or rather the striped remains have gone onto being restored.

Remember the Heritage Railway movement was far smaller and those that existed including the SVR were able to restore and maintain locomotives relatively cheaply so there was not so much pressure to restore everything

One thing with the work currently being done on the boiler for 7714 is that is being restored to a backhead feed to make it authentic for a 77xx class pannier – would it not have been easier and cheaper to put this boiler on 5764 and get that running rather than altering the boiler ?
tg7812

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47276 wrote:
rather the striped remains have gone onto being restored.

What colour were the stripes?
Socrates

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tg7812 wrote:
47276 wrote:
rather the striped remains have gone onto being restored.

What colour were the stripes?
Unavoidable snigger
oldsteamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frames being lifted and wheels removed this afternoon in Bridgnorth yard with help of the steam crane.
bradleyman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldsteamer wrote:
Frames being lifted and wheels removed this afternoon in Bridgnorth yard with help of the steam crane.

I think that you will find that it was 813 being lifted today. 7714 is inside the shed on the jacks with no wheels (as it has been for several months now).
oldsteamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you bradleyman for correcting me. From where I was under the foot bridge on P2 I was unable to identify which engine it was and assumed it was 7714. I had arrived on the Venturer and was unable to get on the foot bridge due to crowds. Appologies to all for any confusion.
Derby4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news please regarding the boiler being repaired to go on 7714? Was it this loco that was found to have a problem with the cylinder block? Perhaps a repair method has been agreed?

(Patrick, an update from your "Bugle" correspondent in the Works would be good!)
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just report it I'm afraid! Looking at http://www.svr-association.org.uk/bugler01.html they seem quarterly so the next one would be a month away.

IIRC the boiler work was stopped while the cylinder work was progressed, but I don't know any more. Sorry

Patrick
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin White has emailed me:

"please see the last MPD update on SVRLive which includes the statement ‘7714 is on the lifting jacks with wheels removed. Those volunteers who spent many hours descaling and cleaning the cylinder block will be pleased to hear that it has been assessed and a plan has been drawn up for it’s repair in this overhaul.

I didn’t report any news on the bolier repair though…..maybe next time………..sorry!'"

The link is http://www.svrlive.com/Pages/BH_MPD0513.aspx

Thanks Martin

Patrick
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures on SVREngineering Twitter today of 7714's cylinder liners being fitted. I think you can copy and paste these links:

pic.twitter.com/mLibZNUv2Y
pic.twitter.com/bZKMLQ1QyU
pic.twitter.com/oIXgHmX3rr
pic.twitter.com/foq6eXL5Y7

In reply to a question when is 7714 expected to steam, the response is "some point in 2015 unless things change around. 813, 7802 Bradley Manor & 34027 Taw Valley are more advanced."

Patrick
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Clarke on Facebook: The alignment of the horns, axles and boxes is the job at the moment on this.

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: