SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of the forums

View previous topic :: View next topic  
webmaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Use of the forums Reply with quote

Recently there has been an increase in complaints with regards the level of postings that are "anti" one thing or another on the Railway.

Please may I remind you that the Forum operates as a medium for enthusiasts to discuss the Severn Valley Railway, it locomotives and operations. Under no circumstances should the forum be used to express opinions that single out a particular person, group or activity with the Railway. I accept that there is on occasion light-hearted personal banter amongst members which is generally acceptable, however, if any member genuinely feels aggrieved by any postings, then their complaints will be considered, and if upheld offending messages/members removed from the forum or asked to retract/apologise.

Some of you may feel that this is simply censorship, but unfortunately that cannot be helped if members continue to abuse the Forum. It would not be practical for me to review every posting made, and should it come to that I would simply remove the forums and we all lose out.

May I also take this opportunity to remind you that certain parts of the forum are open to everyone, and therefore any comments made could be indirectly damaging to the SVR, its members and staff. Please be careful what and where you are posting.

Keep postings "on topic".

Webmaster
SVR-Online Forums
terry-moore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have looked through the recent postings and can't find anyyhing which really 'offends' gainst his rules. Perhaps he could highlight some of these offending items.

This certainly does appear to be some form of censorship.

I hope this posting doesn't fall within his guidlines for censorship.

This forum is excellent for letting people have their say about the railway - (good or bad) Of course some of the postings are stuid/ludicrous - that is free speech. If we are not careful all we will be able to do is to toe the party/moderator/management line.

I wonder if this posting is against the rules???????
hassell_a

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terry-moore wrote:
have looked through the recent postings and can't find anyyhing which really 'offends' gainst his rules. Perhaps he could highlight some of these offending items.

I thnk some of the 'offending' comments may have been deleted, but if you must look, the 1501 thread contains certain personal attacks on groups and inviduals that are unwarranted and unneccessary, if you want to have a look at the Steam Driving Schools thread treads on some very thin ice.

terry-moore wrote:

This certainly does appear to be some form of censorship.

Not really, it merely a request for people to think a bit about the publc nature of their comments, and their possible consequences, before hitting the submit key.

terry-moore wrote:

I hope this posting doesn't fall within his guidlines for censorship.

I don't see why it should

terry-moore wrote:

This forum is excellent for letting people have their say about the railway - (good or bad) Of course some of the postings are stuid/ludicrous - that is free speech. If we are not careful all we will be able to do is to toe the party/moderator/management line.

I agree, but there is a line over which certain comments have crossed. Good manners costs nothing, but libel could.

terry-moore wrote:

I wonder if this posting is against the rules???????

Of course not, I think any reasonable person can see exactly what is being called for here by the webmaster.

Remember that this website is run in conjunction with the SVRA and all that they represent. (Which doesn't include launching ill-founded/untrue criticisms of groups or individuals who work on the SVR.)

This forum has run for a good few years discussing all sorts of matters relating to the SVR. Some threads have very much divided opinions and had some healthy debate, but until recently this has been without the need for personal attacks on individuals, groups or parts of the SVR, and hopefully we can now return to that sort of discussion.

Regards, Adrian.
bob22

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all he is trying to say is that if there are offensive comments on here it does not look good on the railway

so i think that this a fair comment to state
Socrates

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also share the view that the poster(s) of the really offensive remarks have had the good grace to remove or edit their previous inflamatory postings. It is unfortunate that they didn't think a little longer before they clicked the "Submit" button. It is possible that some of these untactful posting are from the more youthful contingent. If so, please try and post with a little maturity.
Despite the differences of opinion that many of us have on various topics the vast majority of us have managed to maintain good humour.
Long may that continue.
May I wish seasons greeting to all those that celebrate this time of year; whether it be the celebration of the winter solstice or another, more religious, festival.
You may care to join me in celebrating this; my 111th, post on this forum.
terry-moore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I was reading far more into this than there is.

This forum is ideal for both working and non working members to air their views and it would be a sad day if comments started to be censored.

Saying that, I agree that postings should not contain personal attacks - after all, we all have the same aim - to ensure that the SVR remains the best preserved railway in the country/world.

Terry
Plato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is the media for good healthy debate, were we can air our may differing views on all subjects pertaining to the Best Preserved Railway in the World! We should refrain from personal attack on the members who maintain different views to the majority even if they are completely off their trolleys.
Unlike that debating rabble in Westminster we donít have the ability too paint two white lines on the floor two sword lengths apart.
Therefore it will be dulling pistols at dawn with the web master who I am informed is a crack shot with the veto.
I will join with my mentor :-

Socrates wrote:

May I wish seasons greeting to all those that celebrate this time of year; whether it be the celebration of the winter solstice or another, more religious, festival.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Forum Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: