SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Class 50 50031 Hood
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Wright

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Class 50 50031 Hood Reply with quote

I understand 50031 has recently suffered a major generator failure (described to me as ďterminalĒ) on the main line around Hereford. Any further news on this? Sad
Hoovers-rock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote author=5Z50 link=1168609854/0#7 date=1168632172]

vening gents (and ladies)... Just back from my day out to Ludlow with 50031. :Smile

Well what a stressful day that was... Riding the 50's on the main line has never been so exciting(?!)

Can confirm that 50031 did indeed suffer a main generator flashover when approaching Ludlow this morning. The engine (still running) was shut down immediately -50031 was being driven from No.2 end and a quick look in the engine room revealed the main generator had indeed flashed over and the stop button was pressed immediately. Engine was therefore shutdown extremely quickly.

Inspection shows some damage to the generator, and it will have to come out. The precise nature of the repair can only of course be established with the generator removed.

For reference, EWS's 66023 was sent from Hereford, and we were towed back to Hereford wrong line as far as Woofferton.

From there, Riviera's 47847 (sent L/E from Crewe) towed the 5 coaches and 50031 back to CF.

Hopefully you'll appreiciate this information, and it will avoid the usual speculation.
[/quote]

- This was given by someone who was with 50031 at the time (this was taken from a quote on a preserved diesel forum)
Jurasik

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is bad news.
Can you elaborate on what is the general cause of such "flashovers"?
I was at the Exeter renaming ceremony last year. The guide who spoke to me in the engine room did go into flashovers & their catastrophic results. I have been to bed since then so I cannot remember the reason for it.
He did say that one of the members/shareholders had expressed the view that the maybe the 50's would be better if retrofitted with AC generators (or is it alternators?) instead of DC generators, for reliability. I have no idea how much work this would entail, but I expect it would be significant.
Hoovers-rock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know any reasons for flashovers but it can just be through the age of the generators. Fitting alternators would be great on the oporational side but what it would entail on auxilary systems i do not know. Im sure many of the other diesel guys will know more. 37906 has had an alternator fitted since it was re-furbished with its ruston engine and that seems to work well!
Derek Wright

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for information. I heard of it in a pub in Ickenham last evening. The beer was flowing a bit and I didnít quite catch what was said. Very sorry to hear of the problem. The loco has been a good performer up till now. A fitter once told me that the problem with the 50ís was too many volts. Iím not sure what that means but I do know that fitting an alternator will require an engine starter motor as alternator cannot be motored by the battery as can generators. I hope the loco can be repaired quickly and at reasonable cost.
Hoovers-rock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the generators of a 50 require a HUGE amount of work. Many things have to be disconected as you need to remove the whole engine and the generator and cannot remove just the generator on its own. also the costs cannot be predicted until its removed. This is about all i know. Im sure other members of the diesel groups will be able to expand more as they might know more than i do by then.
The Athenians

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Wright wrote:
A fitter once told me that the problem with the 50ís was too many volts.
Not a problem the Westerns suffer from.
Housey_D444

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but far better than a 52! Laughing
Hoovers-rock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a reason that westerns only lasted till 1977 and the class 50's to 1992!!!!
Derek Wright

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Itís called politics. 222 Marylebone Road detested all things Great Western and like it or not, the Westerns were the Great Westernís last fling. In 1975 they were the only class of diesel bringing 14 over the South Devon banks unassisted. The 50ís managed 12! Brilliant machines that kick started diesel preservation.
Hoovers-rock

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two coaches didnt make up for the much better sounds, looks and thrash the 50 gave that the 52 couldnt!
mick_wilson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These infantile comments show there to be as much, if not more, infighting between the various diesel groups than there is between the Western and Midland steam aficionados. Cool Cool
Hoovers-rock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mick_wilson wrote:
These infantile comments show there to be as much, if not more, infighting between the various diesel groups than there is between the Western and Midland steam aficionados. Cool Cool

i know this might be a bit rude but we've all established your not the keenist fan for diesels in the world so why do you continue to stir in a thread you could have left alone?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mick_wilson wrote:

The steam queens are much worse!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any electrical motor can flashover, the size of a 50 generator and the high voltage it runs at dont help the situation. Keeping it and the traction motors clean, good driving technique and the application of a small mod done in the latter days of BR operation all help in keeping things going. The gen in 31 has been in since we took delivery 15 years ago,and had been in the loco for a good few years before. Cant really complain at that, and its a bit late to claim on the warranty. Those that think diesel hydraulics are easier to deal with should check out the numbers at the bottom of a Herr Voith invoice when your box of gears goes wrong!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: