SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LMS set buffet car.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pallison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chappell_r wrote:
Point taken pied piper!

Mk 2's are not entirely non-authentic though are they? Look at some of the "end of steam" piccies!

I see from the latest SVR News, ---or was it Steam Railway...? that from next Spring a "diesel" diagram is to be a feature, to take the pressure off the steam fleet, so why not a Mk2 rake, maybe hired from a ROSCO, even if only temporary, to "ease the pressure" on the coach restoration operation?

Easy - there are not that many air braked trained guards on the SVR, we struggled to cover all the turns last diesiel gala when we had the Riviera set of mk.2 coaches, it would also be a false economy as you would be looking at quite a bit in transfer costs for something that won't appeal much to the general public in what is aleady i quiet time of year.
(SVR Guard)
chappell_r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, point taken.

I guess I was thinking that the diesel turn was going to be an ongoing feature, so would still be around in the summer, hence a "permanent" Mk 2 set, ..at least for the time being.

And I didn't realise they were air braked only.
haynes_m

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: LMS Buffet car Reply with quote

In fact the exterior is cleaned regularly but you wouldn't detect it because the paintwork is so poor.
The problem is with these Mk 1 buffet cars the bodywork is very poor.
Repainting is no longer an option and each one needs at least 12 months spent on replacing all the ends, body side bottoms, corridor connection tunnels and windows as well as the floor.
1667 has now taken 18 months and 3109 will take nearly as long so although we looked at sending them offsite the costs are such that we cannot resolve in the short-term.
denscombe_g

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: mark 2s Reply with quote

Not all mark 2s are air braked.

In fact if the SVR were able to get hold of mark 2As (quite rare now though) they are vacuum braked (some a dual, but they are even more rare) with opening windows. On the exterior they just look like a mark 1 except for the windows and the rounded ends...

George Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
olly5764

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is also the issue of weight and phisical size of a mk 2, they are heavier than a mk1 or a western, and (i think) a tad bigger, anyone fancy lugging eight of these round the curves on highley bank with a pannier tank? Cos i don't!
David1984

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olly5764 wrote:
there is also the issue of weight and phisical size of a mk 2, they are heavier than a mk1 or a western, and (i think) a tad bigger, anyone fancy lugging eight of these round the curves on highley bank with a pannier tank? Cos i don't!

I thought MK2's were lighter than MK1's ? im sure i remember reading something about a loco's weight limit on Old Hill Bank, im sure it read "7 MK1's or 8 MK2's".

Anyway as a MK2's construction type is all in one rather then the seperate body & chassis construction of a MK1 it make sense there could be a saving in weight.
David Ward

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olly5764 wrote:
anyone fancy lugging eight of these round the curves on highley bank with a pannier tank? Cos i don't!

I don't fancy even seeing a Pannier tank lugging a set of mk2s anywhere thanks Wink .
jt75069

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too!
denscombe_g

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: mark 2s Reply with quote

Personally I'd be happy with the pannier lugging 8 of anything up Highley bank!

George Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
3442 kicks Ass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: S.V.R. buffet in L.M.S set - Blue grey Mk 2 coaches Reply with quote

on the subject of the condition of the buffet car in the L.M.S.rake I appreciate the strains put on the carriage dept, so won't dwell on that. As for the mark 2 coaches I would like to see a mark 2 rake on the valley for the diesels as these are my childhood era just as much as a black five and stanier coaches are my dads era.
As mark 2 coaches seem to upset a few! how about a compromise as some of the railway press suggest that some charter mark 1 coaches will soon be available would how do people feel, should we have a blue and grey rake of say 6-8 mark 1s to go with the deisels Im not sure but these might be dual braked which would help, and Blue grey mark 1s would be authentic behind 45110 as in the last years of steam, as mentioned before. So could work with the kettles too!!!
yates_m

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we really want a blue&grey set for a diesel gala, then surely it's easier and cheaper to paint one of the existing sets. It would even be feasible to paint only one side of say the the blood&custard rake. I've seen this done on model railways before. You can appear to have double the stock, but you just turn some items round, and they have one livery one side, and a different livery on the other side!

However I don't think there is a permanent need for a blue&grey rake. We need to be careful to keep a focussed 'image'. Remember that only 5% of the market is us enthusiasts - most people who travel want a 'steam age' experience.

I guess there is a policy for what constitutes acceptable stock on the SVR. I also assume that we have way too much to be able to effectively maintain and use what we have.

(...and no I don't know how Mk3 Sleepers fit into the rolling stock policy!)

Malcolm
hassell_a

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mk3 sleepers fit in to the railway policy in that it gives volounteers somewhere to sleep!
3442 kicks Ass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: mk1 buffet car Reply with quote

how about a blue and grey mk3 sleeper train then Idea Be great on the overnight service during 24 hr running Exclamation Laughing Laughing Laughing
Plato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have spoilt two sets with this the LMS set and the Limited set. Its time to rebuild a GWR coach as a buffet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: