SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21st July 08 - little blighters popping the windows
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CliffW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: 21st July 08 - little blighters popping the windows Reply with quote

How did the SVR fair in the end on 21st July 08?
Late on I saw several coaches on in service trains with smashed windows due to vandals between Kiddie and Bewdley.
I saw/was on:
Maroon Mk1s with quarter lights and main windows shattered and the LMS set was targetted too.

What was the final outcome? Were they caught? Were more trains affected?
Ben6024

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7802 looked to me like it had been shot with and air gun or something similar on the drivers side window in the past week during its short spell as the weeks service engien
oliver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numerous items can be seen littereing the lineside on the south side of the tunnel which I assume have all been thrown at trains. Things include bricks, rocks, logs, beer bottles, gas canistors, watering cans, pieces of metal, pallets, and even a microwave.
southerman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a footplate trip about 3 years ago. Came round the corner in the tunnel and both me and the firemen alerted the driver very very quickly to a fridge freezer lying across the rails. The bigger items would most likely of been placed on the tracks rather than thrown at the trains.
heap_r

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the Signalman in Bewdley South on Monday 21st July. I spent most of my afternoon cautioning trains as to the youths between the Kiddy side of the tunnel and Stourport Road Bridge. Think they got about eight windows last week.

And to think, that was only the first day of the summer holidays! Five more weeks to go...
heap_r

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just found this on the Kidderminster Shuttle website. Police patrols have been increased in the area.

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/local/3555524.Trains_under_attack_from_vandals/
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stupidity of these people is beyond belief, I hope the police really are taking this as seriously as they profess to be. It would be a valuable lesson to this small minority if one or two of them had to appear in court and then pay a big fine at the very least.

Mike.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heap_r wrote:
Have just found this on the Kidderminster Shuttle website. Police patrols have been increased in the area.

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/news/local/3555524.Trains_under_attack_from_vandals/

I had to laugh at the police saying that their parents will be told. Their parents are probably has bad as the kids!
bob22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they seariously need sumet better to do with there holidays i heard about this incident and talkin to a crew member it was an air riffle used on 7802.
Stato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any legal people amongst the volunteers?

Why not take the over 18 culprits thru the civil courts, say for 10k for each incident. For the under aged lot take their parents thru the same process.
Professional coffin dodger.
sharpo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps PCSOs should occasionally travel between Bewdley & Kidderminster to try & spot the offenders:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/7500409.stm

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe2027 wrote:
I had to laugh at the police saying that their parents will be told. Their parents are probably has bad as the kids!
Perhaps there is something to be said in favour of Eugenics.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
CliffW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking it further, has anyone thought about asking the Police if they would be willing to dismount from the trains Guards compartment when the train is near the tunnel exit?
Combined with a Police presence from the estate this could be the solution to stopping/catching them.

This hidden tunnel stop couldn't add any more delay compared to taping up windows on Bewdley platform?
hassell_a

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CliffW wrote:
Taking it further, has anyone thought about asking the Police if they would be willing to dismount from the trains Guards compartment when the train is near the tunnel exit?
Combined with a Police presence from the estate this could be the solution to stopping/catching them.

This hidden tunnel stop couldn't add any more delay compared to taping up windows on Bewdley platform?

Hmm, ever been on a steam hauled train that's stopped in the tunnel? Let alone tried to get off one in the dark, with limited clearance and a lungfull of smoke?

Getting the Police/Magistrates to finally take it seriously would be the 1st step. On the rare occasions in the past where one of these urchins has been prosecuted, they seem to have only been given a slap on the wrists.

One day someone is going to get hurt if this doesn't get stopped.

http://www.4930hagleyhall.org.uk

All Comments and Opinions are my own and do not reflect those of SVR (Holdings) PLC, SVR Company Limited, or SVR Charitable Trust.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hassell_a wrote:

Getting the Police/Magistrates to finally take it seriously would be the 1st step. On the rare occasions in the past where one of these urchins has been prosecuted, they seem to have only been given a slap on the wrists.

One day someone is going to get hurt if this doesn't get stopped.

It's the usual way, somebody has to get seriously injured before something is done. Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: