SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Northern Coach 2701

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miniandi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Great Northern Coach 2701 Reply with quote

Just like congratulations to the People who put all the hard work on 2701 saw it on Saturday and it looks stunning. Love the GNER seats too.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Northern Coach 2701 Reply with quote

miniandi wrote:
Just like congratulations to the People who put all the hard work on 2701 saw it on Saturday and it looks stunning. Love the GNER seats too.

Went in it today, it looked too new to use. Though I ate my ham and cheese sarnies, making sure any crumbs went on the floor !

Last edited by Joe2027 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
WaltTFB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it for the first time at BH today, absolutely immaculate and a great credit to everyone who has worked so hard on it.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
miniandi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all we need now to complete the set is an lner loco on the front
olly5764

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2701 is a fantastic piece of kit, and the work that has gone into it is amazing, well done to Richard and co, a true credit to not only the owning group, but the whole railway!
sharpo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it at Arley on the first day it was in service & it looked brand new. That roof was so white.

For anybody who hasn't seen it yet, enter just the coach number 2701 in the search box in the link below, click the "search" button & you should see 6 photos of it:-

http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/cpg/search.php

I haven't added descriptions or dates to the photos yet, but they are part of a summer 2008 album which I am working on (summer, what summer?)

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
xpc smooth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of dragging it about a week or so ago and managed to cop a quick butcher's. The First Class is exquisite; dark blue seats with what looked like blue and silver piping round the squabs. I only got to look through the window, didn't want to trespass with overalls on! The arm - rests had leather tops, studded at the sides and there were white antimacassars with GNR embroidered on:- stunning! I intend to test it at the earliest opportunity.

Regards,

John
yates_m

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chaps,

This is taken from a press release issued today, which has been passed on to me by David Wilcock for distribution on this forum...

Just like new again – the derelict
railway carriage dumped 50 years ago!

A FABULOUS art deco period railway carriage which last carried passengers 50 years ago and ended its days as a derelict ‘empty shell’ in a pub car park, will be formally relaunched, in all its original glory, at the Severn Valley Railway this coming Saturday, August 16th.

After nine years of painstaking work by volunteer members of the railway’s LNER Coach Fund, ‘Gresley teak’ coach No.2701 has been sumptuously restored to ‘as new’ 1922 condition – at a total cost of £186,000. The Heritage Lottery Fund has contributed £84,000 to the cost.

Coach No. 2701’s return to grace will come ‘full circle’ on Saturday, when Tim Godfrey, grandson of its designer Sir Nigel Gresley, makes the short journey from his home near Bridgnorth to formally recommission this latest addition to the Severn Valley Railway’s matched set of prestigious ‘Gresley teak’ coaches.

Sir Nigel Gresley (1876-1941) was in the eyes of many, Britain’s most accomplished designer of the steam age. As Chief Mechanical Engineer of the Great Northern Railway (from 1911), and (from 1923) its successor, the LNER (London & North Eastern Railway), he famously designed Flying Scotsman, the world’s first 100mph steam locomotive, and also the streamlined A4 ‘Pacific’ Mallard, whose 126mph world record in 1938 has never been beaten.

Gresley’s distinctive ‘varnished teak’ bow-ended coaches similarly set a standard in railway coachbuilding excellence, and to mark its ‘return from oblivion’, No.2701 will be the first coach in an all-Gresley teak train which forms the 11.15am departure from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth on Saturday. Tim Godfrey will cut a ribbon just before the train’s departure, to celebrate No.2701’s ‘second coming’, 86 years after its first railway journey.

Later, on the return from Bridgnorth, the train will call at Highley, where Tim Godfrey will present his grandfather’s top hat – an emblem of distinguished high office in steam days – to the SVR, for permanent display in the railway’s new Engine House Visitor Centre at Highley. David Mee, curator of The Engine House, will accept the top hat on behalf of the SVR.

The restoration of coach No.2701, back to its original state as a combined (the formal railway term is ‘composite’) first and third class passenger carriage, brings the number of carriages in the SVR’s set of ‘art deco’ Gresley teak coaches, to seven. Restoration of an eighth ‘Gresley teak’ coach – the maximum the railway can operate in one train because of the length of passing loops at stations – is expected to begin in 2009, as a five-year project.

In its heyday, No. 2701 ran in fast express trains on the ‘Great Northern’ main line between Kings Cross and Edinburgh, retaining its beautiful ‘varnished teak’ appearance until it passed into British Railways’ ownership on Nationalisation of the railways in 1948. Then its delightful wood-grained panelling was lost beneath the new regime’s ‘carmine and cream’ (sometimes called ‘blood-and-custard’) paint scheme.

In 1958, it was withdrawn from passenger use, and converted into one of the many ‘camping coaches’ which BR kept on sidings at seaside and scenic country locations, for hiring out as holiday homes. With all seating stripped out and the interior converted into living and sleeping areas, it slumbered for another ten years at Mundesley-on-Sea, on the Norfolk coast near Cromer.

With the closure of that line in October 1964 though, it was despatched to Boston, Lincolnshire, where it was used as a railway office for some years, before finally being sold off in the 1980s, to become the ‘breakfast room’ annexe of a pub at nearby Swineshead Bridge.

When the ‘breakfast room’ project failed, No.2701 was acquired for a similar purpose by a pub at Heanor in Derbyshire, but it lay for several more years in a dilapidated state, steadily rotting away, until its purchase and rescue by the LNER (SVR) Coach Fund in 1994.

After much detective work to establish precisely the original interior layout, and to determine where fittings such as luggage racks and heater controls should go, the 2701 Project began, under the leadership of Richard Gunning, and with the pivotal help of volunteer joiner Peter Milnes. Peter regularly travelled to the Severn Valley Railway from his home in Essex to painstakingly rebuild the missing interior walls, first and third class compartments and panelling.

A considerable amount of expensive new teak was needed, and intriguingly, some of the wood used in the rebuilding of 2701 was recovered from the wreck of a cargo ship which was sunk in the Irish Sea during the First World War!

Despite lying many fathoms down for several decades, the very hard and resilient teak was still in excellent, usable condition.

Restoration of No.2701 was completed last month - exactly half a century after its withdrawal by British Railways - and the coach has already made a number of ‘running-in’ turns on the SVR’s 16-mile line between Kidderminster and Bridgnorth. The coach contains a small exhibition about the restoration, and its place in GNR and LNER history.

SVR senior managers, members of the restoration team, and representatives of the Heritage Lottery Fund, The Gresley Society and the Great Northern Railway Society will be among the party of more than 60 aficionados travelling on Saturday in No.2701 – the railway carriage brought back from oblivion.

Malcolm
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: GNR 2701 Reply with quote

I had a brief glimpse of this carriage as a TTI on BS1 on Saturday while unlocking the set for the day. It is a fine job and the team that restored it can be justly proud. I only wish now that I'd opted to work on that end of the train.
Puffernutter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a ride in the 1st class section of this coach on four occasions now and words fail me as to the sheer opulence and luxury. I would have HAPPILY paid a £10 supplement for this coach let alone a miserly £3...

Well done to all involved - I just dearly wish that your craft skills are passed on to the 'younger' generation so that this sort of thing is not allowed to die...

Sincerely
mrmover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As reported in the railway press recently, 2701 is off to King's Cross, and should make an interesting spectacle with the N7.
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
As reported in the railway press recently, 2701 is off to King's Cross, and should make an interesting spectacle with the N7.
Any idea if going by rail as per the movements of the Bluebell stock
cranmore_m

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it is 7960 that is going to King,s Cross not 2701
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: